View Full Version : Torchwood: Children of Earth

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Hobbit
July 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
For those abroad and not aware, Torchwood: Children of Earth started transmission in the UK last night. Unusually, the 5 episodes are being shown on consecutive nights, Mon - Friday.

So last night was Day One.

I have been quite scathing (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18873) in the past about this series.

The good news is that I thought this was much better, to be honest, though far from perfect. They do seem to be realigning the series a little: for example lost the car, new base required, new members to the team (or not. :)

Further on the plus side: Eve Myles' character has at long last been given room to breathe and given some reasonable dialogue to deliver. Seemed a lot more natural last night.

On the downside: the usual Russell T Davies' motifs, children, alien abduction, personal crisis issues, gay agenda pushed to the fore (though the two characters were also a little less stilted IMO)

AND the usual loss of logic, to whit:

World event happens, possibly apocalyptic, Torchwood to the rescue - except that, no, they're not.

What really happens isCaptain Jack goes to visit his daughter and grandchild for a cup of tea whilst Ianto goes and breaks the news to his sister and brother-in-law that he's gay.

Cliffhanger ending was a bit cliched, not to mention a tad unrealistic, the character twist at the end was quite good. But if it gets people talking....

Better than recent series Primeval, Demons and the Survivors remake, IMO. It's not perfect but it's a fair start. Hopefully the word of mouth thing will generate an interest as the week goes on.

Any other thoughts?

Mark

Erebus
July 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I am waiting for the entire series on DVD to arrive later this month...hopefully. Had it ordered for some time now.

Hobbit
July 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Didn't realise they were releasing it as quick as that, Neil: but it makes sense with the copying problem these days.

OK: we're up to Day 4 here: some big surprises along the way so far, and generally so much better than previous Torchwoods.

There is padding, and some overwrought scenes but generally this is darker and gorier than previous.

Some of the characterisation is developing really well. I am much more impressed with Eve Myles this time around, and I am seeing a Jack more like the Jack I had hoped for in previous series.

And there are some very interesting plot flashbacks....

One to go. Despite my reservations, if the last part is as good as the rest, this is a much more pleasing show.

Mark

Baroque
July 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM
True, the third series is well done, but I think that the writers made a pretty big mistake with Ianto , fans of that pairing are going to out for Russel T Davies' blood and I'm not kidding.

Holbrook
July 11th, 2009, 07:39 AM
This series is what Torchwood should have been from the get go. Adult underlying themes, not adult, as in sexual content.

Yes, there were plot holes and some scenes didn't work. But it didn't end all sweetness and light with a fast re-wind all made good ending.

The civil servent killing his family, and the reasons for it was very well done. He was boxed into a corner for and by 'doing his job' and it destroyed him

Hobbit
July 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Yes: the ending was very good indeed, though the denouement a little too rushed for me.

There were a number of roles that were very good. And some scenes that were quite chilling. Agree with your example, Hol.

One comment from the Hobbit household: "Very good, but isn't there a lot of crying?" Can't disagree, really.

But, overall, much much better. And I'd agree, though this wasn't perfect, this was miles better than any of the series so far. If it could be as good as this, why couldn't the rest be on par?

Mark

Baroque
July 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
hmm, it is true that the series as a whole was worse than this, but there were great moments and episodes, I mean, its hard to say that 'Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang' wasn't as good as CoE, just different. (how could it be bad, James Marsters was guest starring :) ). anyway, CoE was excellent, very dark, gritty, all the good stuff. plus, I've heard that John Barrowman (Captain Jack) will be in the Doctor Who christmas special which will be after the events in CoE, so we get to see more of dark and depressed Jack with the possibility of more Torchwood if BBC decides to continue the series. I don't think they should, but with ratings around 6 million, they probably will, regardless of episode quality.

Hobbit
July 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I rather expected what happened to happen to some extent, with Russell T Davies signing off from the franchise this series pretty much cleared the deck for any new future interpretation to take place, should they want to in the future.

Going back to Erebus's comment earlier, I found out it's released here on DVD and Blueray on Monday (13th!) That's a pretty quick turnaround....

Mark

Erebus
July 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Going back to Erebus's comment earlier, I found out it's released here on DVD and Blueray on Monday (13th!) That's a pretty quick turnaround....

Mark

Very quick indeed...I can't wait to watch the series.

Wulfa_Jones
July 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM
A bit slow on this as I've been away from an internet connection for a week now. However, I did manage to catch every episode of Torchwood season 3/Children of Earth.

I started watching Torchwood at season 1, but gave up half way in only to start again with season 2 which showed a little improvement. The show always frustrated as it could have been amazing, but kept failing.

Whilst not perfect, Children of Earth was pretty damn impressive and Iíd rate it as one of the best British speculative TV in decades. It finally proved to itself and its viewers that post watershed doesnít just mean gore and sex.
As with many people, I wasnít overly happy with the ending. It did seem rushed and, much like the last season finale for Doctor Who, contained much techno-babble and button pushing. The emotional payoff was there, but might have worked better had the two characters effected been introduced earlier in the series.

Iíll put the next bit in spoilers:

I did wonder of the significance of Jackís daughter and grandson as they did keep popping up.
Everyone has discussed it already, but the scene with the civil servant taking the life of himself and his young family to avoid their fate was very well handled. Finding out that the alien race only wanted to us the children as a drug was an interesting twist as well Ė added even more to the feeling of injustice.

Overall, I was very impressed and wonder if the success of the format will influence any future Torchwood has and if itíll affect Doctor Who. Considering original Who seasons tended to be made up of one story told over a number of episodes rather than a series of stories and an lose story arc, I would like to see a Doctor Who story in the same format.

A most impressive effect from RTD and for British Sci-Fi television.