PDA

View Full Version : Time travel story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JunkMonkey
July 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Read years ago - I have no idea how many.

I think it's a novel, though it could be a short story (or anywhere inbetween). All I really remember is it had a central protagonist (male) who was sent to a post apocalyptic future. The time machine was in an underground bunker affair with a perimeter fence. the fence and the bunker were there in the future too. At some point he gets a newspaper from the library of an abandoned town. I also seem to think that he is black and this is important to the story.

I was reminded of it while watching the movie Idaho Transfer if that helps any.

Any ideas?

Hobbit
July 15th, 2009, 08:19 PM
It's not Farnham's Freehold by Heinlein, is it? I remember them being in a bunker in a nuclear holocaust, and there being quite a hoo-haa because the main characters were black. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnham%27s_Freehold)

(But then that wouldn't work with the time travel element....)

Mark

JunkMonkey
July 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
It's not Farnham's Freehold. But thanks for reminding me of it. I haven't read that since I was about 14 - some thirtycough! years ago. I keep meaning to reread Heinlein but I'm afraid I'll hate him.

Further thinking about my mystery book, I have this niggling idea that the writer withheld the information the character was black for a long while to provide a (for the time) shocking twist and I'm pretty sure this was some sort of a military operation too.

lolrus
July 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Sounds a little like "The Year of the Quiet Sun" by Wilson Tucker. Cracking book.

JunkMonkey
July 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Sounds a little like "The Year of the Quiet Sun" by Wilson Tucker. Cracking book.

That rings bells. Thank you I think you got it, Lolrus.