PDA

View Full Version : old Juvenile SF novel

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Horsip
July 28th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I remember reading this one when i was in grade school. Circa late 1960's.

JunkMonkey
August 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I remember reading it too. I remember thinking 'old juveniles' - what a great idea! Wonder what it was called....

Seriously though, I think we need a few more details before we can hazard a guess.

Horsip
August 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I remember reading it too. I remember thinking 'old juveniles' - what a great idea! Wonder what it was called....

Seriously though, I think we need a few more details before we can hazard a guess.

I had a complete description, but after 4 days of no body even bothering to view it, I decided there was no interest and edited out the description.

JunkMonkey
August 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Four days isn't that long. I don't know how often other people cruise this forum but I only look here once a week or so. Try posting it again.

SCEtoAUX
August 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I'll save the thread.

My juvi that I am trying to find was an old book about a space corp... or group... or team that had adventures or solved mysteries in space. The story I am trying to find had them find a base on an asteroid. They entered it via an airlock plug that "screwed" its way up above the surface before desending back inside the asteroid. Later, they find miniture toys powered by springs that are in fact real vehicle created by miniature creatures. They find the home for these creatures to be on Mercury in the thin region between the permanent daylite side and the night side (thats what science thought Mercury was like when the book was written) anyone find it ringing a bell?

JunkMonkey
August 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM
My first thought was Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury but the synopsis on wkipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Starr_and_the_Big_Sun_of_Mercury) doesn't mention tiny critters in clockwork vehicles - nice idea though.

rlp
August 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
The first thing I thought of is the Captain Future books by Edmond Hamilton.
rlp

SCEtoAUX
August 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember the minature creatures reasoning is that they had to be small to survive the brutal winds blowing between the day and night side of Mercury. This book was old when I read it in the early seventies though... I may not be remembering it clearly also.