View Full Version : Looking for books I read back in the days

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

josblomsma
August 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Hello,

Once in a while certain stories pop into my mind, stories I read when I was younger. I'd love to read those books again, but can't think of the titles. Here they are:

Story 1.
Something with this planet with really strong winds. All creatures are fully adapted to the continues storms: they are 'flat', cat-like. At one point the badguys build a wind-tunnel, from which the walls are being melted just in time to safe the hero's.

Story 2.
Something about an artificial, wheelshaped-world with centaurs with big penises (not joking). The designer was inspired by tv-signal she (it?) received.

Story 3.
Really don't know what this story is about, but it has a huge hanging town in it. The town has different levels. That's all.

Anybody? Would be great!

Pellinore
August 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Could the first one be one of the Icerigger books by Alan Dean Foster? As I recall there were cat/bat-ish creatures who used the wind to sort of 'sail' on the ice.

For the third one I thought of Tir na Nog'th from Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber.
For some reason I feel like the Wheel of Time books also had a floating city somewhere in there, but I don't remember those very well.

No idea for the other one. Sounds like something Piers Anthony would write though. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I did a quick search for Piers Anthony and wheel shaped world and something I came across had this promising but very unhelpful listing:

# 1981 ---. Wizard. Adventures on a wheel shaped world genetically engineered by a goddess, Gaia, who tailors species to replace technological mechanisms.

EDIT 2:
After a bit more searching I think I've got it- John Varley's Gaea trilogy. It features a wheel shaped world, Centaurs with exaggerated sexual organs, and a controlling intelligence who gets ideas from movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28John_Varley%29

Seli
August 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
The first one is a bit nasty since (If I am correct) it is by a Dutch writer.
It should be "Coriolis, de stormplaneet" by Gerben Hellinga jr.

no clue about the other 2

josblomsma
August 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks to both of you!

@Seli; I think this is the one, the title does ring a bell. Hope I can still find it!

@Pellinore; Wikipedia says about 'Titan' "they discover Gaea, who presents herself as a frumpy middle aged woman". I'm sure that's the one.

The second story I still haven't figured out yet, maybe it's a book by Peter Schaap (also a dutch writer) but the only thing I know is the hangin city.

Seli
August 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
The hanging city doesn't remind me of anything by Schaap that I've read. Of course I have not read everything and the books I did were quite some time ago.
You don't remember any other details?

Hitmouse
August 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Story 3.
Really don't know what this story is about, but it has a huge hanging town in it. The town has different levels. That's all.

would fit an obscure Moorcock possibly "Rituals of Infinity" Has the Fireclown as a character if I recall.
Conceivably "Ringworld"

josblomsma
August 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
It's just this image of a city, hanging in a canyon. There are different levels; the lower ones live on the garbage of the higher levels. The top level is rich, lots of sunshine, the lowest is dark and poor. I really don't remember the story, just this image.