PDA

View Full Version : Assasin's Apprentice - anyone liked it?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

LordKickass
May 9th, 2002, 08:52 AM
hey anyone read that series, by Robin Hobb? its possibly the most deppressing and tough luck books out there. that poor guy looses EVERYTHING! i mean freaking everything, like 2-3 dogs a wolf, his girlfriend, his king(S), his best friend, his assasin teacher dude. its a great book, and i love it for those reasons because not every hero gets everything in the end for saving the world and all.

PJ
May 9th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Keep reading the series......it gets better!!!! It is a very popular series with many of the readers of this board. I like it because the "hero" makes mistakes. Mistakes are what one would expect in the real world when you put an ordinary person into extraordinary situations (me being the exception http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif) I also enjoyed her Liveship Traders triology.

PJ

Alucard
May 9th, 2002, 10:07 AM
I liked hobb's books. True, they are not exactly uplifting, but her characters are great.

LordKickass
May 9th, 2002, 10:23 AM
the series continues after Assasins Quest? YIPEE! hehe, you say LiveShip Traders? whats that all about, please explain!

Alle
May 9th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Liveship is set in the same world as Farseer, but in a different part. I really liked it, as Hobb uses multiple pov's which gave different perspectives. And now, as most here already know, Hobb has a new trilogy being written that returns to Fitz' pov. The first, Fool's Errand is a great read, and the rest of the series is one I eagerly await. I would recommend reading Liveship before Tawny Man though, as it enriches the experience.

Hope this helps! :-)

Alle

BoxingGriffin
May 9th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Not that these things aren't forseeable, but you just ruined the ending of the series for me. Try to warn us if you are going to include spoilers, no matter how obvious?

That said, I am really enjoying the series, though I seem to be mired in the last book. Moving very slow. I'm looking forward to moving on to Liveship and then to Fool's Errand.

jfclark
May 9th, 2002, 01:27 PM
The last book of the Assassin series moves extremely slowly, until about the last quarter of it, which is quite good. I thought the ending struck just the right note.

I thought the series overall was nothing better than average. Just another series about a boy who bonds with a wolf. The series has some good ideas and very strong characterization, but it is far too long (nothing happens in the second book that couldn't have been put into the first or third books, thus saving 600 pages of effort by the author and the reader). I might read Liveship Traders and the other new series (Tawny Man), because Hobb's writing style is actually quite good. She's just not very economical in her storytelling.

Rob B
May 9th, 2002, 04:19 PM
BoxingGriffin, what "ruined the ending of the series?"

Eventine
May 9th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Fitz,
I woud say that:

that poor guy looses EVERYTHING! i mean freaking everything, like 2-3 dogs a wolf, his girlfriend, his king(S), his best friend, his assasin teacher dude

pretty much ruins the series for those who haven't read it. But that's just my opinion.

At any rate, I think it's a good idea for people to print something along thelines of:

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!

before making a post.

BoxingGriffin
May 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Fitz -
Eventine hit it on the head. You can pretty much guess its going to happen, but I'd rather know for sure when I read it in the book, if you know what I mean.