View Full Version : Martial Art Movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

~Pulse~
August 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hey guys, newcomer here :rolleyes:

Well i was wondering what Martial Art Movies you guys would advise i used to love them when i was a kid but grew out of them and my unhealthy obsession HAS RETURNED :(

I love Fantasy ones

E.G....
House of Flying daggers
Crouching tiger hidden dragon
Fearless
Forbidden kingdom

and some newer ones that arn't set in historical china etc like
War (Rogue Assassin)

I'm not keen on the old ones any more i dunno they jus don't have the vibrancy of newer films imo but if there are any that you guys would recommend that are fantasy let me know PLEASE coz i've got nothing to do nowadays and i'm watching film after film and buying more films and expanding my collection but i really really really would love alot of Martial art films

i don't really know what genre these fall into i jus say fantasy/martial arts :D not sur eif thats right!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH

Daddy Darth
August 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
My all time favourite is still Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee. Not what you are looking for I am afraid but it had to be said.

~Pulse~
August 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
It was good when you were younger but films have moved on now :( its a shame really ruins good films but we move on with them :P

Seak
August 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Ong Bak the Thai Warrior and The Protector

Both star Tony Jaa and they are the best martial arts films I've ever seen. Plot and dialogue are lame in both, but the martial arts are insane. Ong Bak's the best.

saintjon
August 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Second that! Although they aren't fantasy but Tony Jaa is godlike, majestic and brutal with the devastating muay thai techniques.

If you want some fantasy MA with Japanese flavour check out Shinobi or Heart Under Blade, whatever. Fun with ninjas. The answer to "If looks could kill" is "then don't be the coolest guy in the movie."

I bet any Zatoichi movie would count too. His blind badassery has sex with plausibility's mom.

Back to China go old school on the Jet Li wire-fu and check out Once Upon a Time in China.

I too love Enter The Dragon, and all of these others I've mentioned, but my favourite martial arts movie ever is probably The Legend of Drunken Master starring Jackie Chan. Possibly the most entertaining spectacle ever.

Bond
August 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Buddha's Palm
The Five Deadly Venoms
Heroes of the East (a.k.a. Shaolin Vs. Ninja)
Dance of the Drunk Mantis
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
Executioners from Shaolin
Taichi Master (a.k.a. Twin Warriors)
A Touch of Zen
Invincible Armor

and of course Rocky ;)

~Pulse~
August 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
i agree Ong bak is amazing watched it today so thanks for that, and am gonna have a look into the rest posted will post bakc here when i've been shops and got them

its jus finding them hehe :rolleyes:

seewhatyousay
August 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Legend of the eight samurai - entirely corny but still great; Hiroyuki Sanada was a riot.

Curse of the golden flowers - excellent fight choreography, best scene is an attack in a canyon; pay close attention to the fighters on the edges.