PDA

View Full Version : Book about frozen then digitized soldiers?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Avraham
August 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
A friend asked me for help finding the title/author of a book he vaguely remembers. He tells me:

It's about a solider that is cryogenically frozen, then later digital stored, in order to maintain a trained army for future wars. I believe he starts as a Vietnam era soldier. After the first or second war he is "woken" up for, the soldiers find that the money they were supposed to be paid for the time in stasis has been revoked and they don't have the skills/basic knowledge to exist in the new world, so they go back into the program. Eventually, they are digitized and stored in memory crystals (or some technology like that). In the end of the book, the hero finds that the army has been restored to fight both sides of a way. He eventually destroys both copies of all the crystals.

Thanks!

And it turned out to be "The Eternity Brigade" by Stephen Goldin.

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 02:37 PM
The Eternity Brigade by Stephen Goldin. Good book.

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Sorry didn't read at bottom where you ided it yourself :o)

Hobbit
March 19th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Funny that. We've just had an email here at SFFWorld from Mr Goldin:

I wanted to let you know that my classic military science fiction novel The Eternity Brigade is now available in paperback format from Amazon.com. Most readers consider this my best stand-alone science fiction novel and it has now been thoroughly revised and updated to fit the 21st century.

Might be worth a look!

Mark

Zillarian
July 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
It's one of my favorites. It has some seriously interesting concepts. Well worth reading IMHO.