PDA

View Full Version : completed comic titles

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Vooloc
August 16th, 2009, 05:03 AM
i have just finished Y the last man and loved it and just started Kingdom Come and am wondering what other titles there are that i should read.
i dont want ongoing never ending series, just ones that are a complete story.
i also have Preacher to read and 1602
ive been through a couple of threads here and seen some good reccomendations but cant figure if they are complete stories as the ones i have stated, i actually got all of them except Y through various threads here.
anyone got some good reccomendations?

others i have already read or have to read are
Books of Magic (read and was kind of ok)
Superman Red Son (pretty cool)
Wanted (couldnt really get into it)

Surt
August 16th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Sandman is complete and avaiblable in trades and gorgeous Absolute editions. It is written by Neil Gaiman and is magnificent.

Invisibles is also complete - you might want to borrow volume 1, though, since it is a title, you'll either hate or love.

Shade, the Changing Man (which is being released in trades in the coming months/years) by Peter Milligan and Chris Bachalo is complete (around 75 issues).

Lucifer by Mike Carey is complete and available in trades.

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis is complete and available in trades.

Planetary by Warren Ellis will be complete very, very soon.

You can read more about most of these titles here:
http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/

Other classics:
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
Ronin

I also want to recommend Grant Morrisons Doom Patrol, which can easily be read as a finished story. These are also available in trades.

Vooloc
August 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
should have mentioned ive read Sandman a couple of years ago, also Lucifer.
also read Watchmen.
think ive read the Dark Knight Returns also, that was awesome if its the one im thinking of.
some others there though that i shall look into.
is there any grand space epics, not including Star Wars?
or even just space ones.

kater
August 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
is there any grand space epics, not including Star Wars?
or even just space ones.

Your space options are somewhat limited, there are a few good ones, for example there's Universal War One by Denis Bajram which is really good and printed through Marvel. Ocean and Ministry of Space by Waren Ellis, Fear Agent by Rick Remender, there's also the usual collection of Tv related stuff - Serenity, Stargate, Doctor Who, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica etc
Unfortunately and suprisingly it is slim pickings, there's a lot of future based sf but not so much set out amongst the stars. I found a similar thread at the big comicbookresources site here: http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=280597&page=2 but obviously you'd have to research some of the titles as they're small press. Any questions feel free to ask, I'm in the same boat when it comes to finding space-based comics :)

Vooloc
August 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
im a massive Heavy Metal fan, both the music and the comic book haha, and always just loooved heavy metals storys, sci fi fantasy style but some of the really good stories were in parts so i never got to finish a lot of them.
i guess thats the style thats my favorite.
i like some superhero ones but i prefer other styles

Surt
August 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Then you might want to check out some of the european comics instead. Unfortunately, I have no idea of which of these have been translated to english. As far as I know, The Metabarons is out in English.

kater
August 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Universal War One I mentioned above is a translated French comic, Marvel have some kind of dea with Soleil to translate their big works to english so that may be a place to look. Should have thought of that earlier.

Vooloc
August 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
cheers guys, got a few to look at now
also just discovered the Dark Horse Conan comics, they look good!

Muess
August 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Definately read Marvels, especially if you enjoyed the art of Kingdom Come.
Bone is one of, if not the best completed fantasy comic series.
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear is a fantastic DD series by Frank Miller which can be read without reading any previous DD comics. Miller's Sin City comics are all completed series also and well worth a read.
Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic stands alone from the following ongoing series and is well worth reading.

Basically anything by Miller, Gaiman and Alan Moore is top stuff in comics.

Vooloc
August 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM
giving the Metabarons a look now too, this looks to be a grand space opera, gonna like it i think.
on the look out for universal war one too.