PDA

View Full Version : power to choose a personal future timeline?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Samot
August 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Many years ago i read a sci fi book but I cannot remember the title or any way to find it again, I hope that someone here might be able to help me out.

In the book, the protagonist is a girl who, at a young age, experiences some kind of accident and nearly dies, only at that moment she finds she has a power where she can see possible futures and choose which one she continues along. During the accident she obviously chooses the future where she survives the accident, but when she gets home she finds that she has chosen a future where her parents had died when she was a baby and she was raised by another family member (an aunt I think).

She is understandably upset at the perceived "sudden" loss of her parents, but the rest of the universe doesn't seem to understand why this has suddenly cropped up again after so many years. The main character attempts to recreate the use of her power and repeatedly tries to find her "home timeline/universe/reality..." but is unsuccessful. The plot fast-forwards to later in her life where, bereft of companionship because of the fleeting permanence of her reality, she has become a cat burglar, using her power to consistently choose the future where she is not photographed or caught. This lifestyle comes into conflict when she encounters characters who she does not want to lose and so on, but i don't remember the rest.

I remember it being a good book and would love to find out who the author or title was.

minor detail: It seems to me that, at least the initial accident, occurred underwater. either while the character was diving, or the entire thing took place on a waterworld, it wasn't much difference to the plot, so i don't remember.

thanks in advance for any information you may have.

JunkMonkey
August 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Sounds similar in some respects to the film The Butterfly Effect maybe searching around sites discussing the movie might turn up something?