View Full Version : Jim Cameronís Avatar

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Wulfa_Jones
August 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Friday was Avatar day. Cinemaís across the world got to sell tickets for a 15 minute, full 3D trailer for James Cameronís supposed ground breaking new film Ė his first full length fictional feature since Titanic.

On Thursday Apple trailers released a short teaser trailer for the film and near enough crashed because of the demand to see it. This is the only footage Iíve seen of the film so far and was pretty underwhelmed. I have heard that the 3D effects within the film are pretty damn cool, but from what I know of the story line, it sounds like it is going to be all flash and no bang.

The CGI to me looked cartoony, which is fine, but considering it was hyped as being near real, it looked or Pixar than anything else. Since, based on the footage Iíve seen, most of the film seems to be CGI it looks a little video game like.

I didnít have very high hopes for the film anyway; Iíve just had very little interest in the project since the first details started to leak.

Itís a big Christmas release and I will go see it just because Iíve yet to see a 3D film. However, the trailer hasnít sold it to me, nor has the story. It is just the possible 3D experience.

Did anyone manage to make it to one of the special previews?

Evil Agent
August 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM
All I've seen is the teaser, and although it looks kind of cool, I'll agree with you... underwhelming.

Probably just because I've been hearing about this for YEARS, and keep hearing about how it's supposed to be the most amazing CGI ever done. To me, it looked pretty much on par with Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. Awesome CGI, but nothing I haven't seen before (and DEFINITELY not photo-realistic).

I think by the time December 18th rolls around, I'll already be sick of hearing about this film, due to the hype-fest that is about to begin.

Daddy Darth
August 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I dont know - I watched the trailer and it looked pretty fantastic to me. Time will tell though fellas. I am a Cameron fan and yes I did enjoy the Titanic enough to go three times so I am very curious with what he has been working on all this time.
Cheers

kater
August 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Was the trailer in 3-D?

Daddy Darth
August 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hey Kater - I am not very tech savy but is that possible?

kater
August 26th, 2009, 09:07 AM
No I didn't think so but wasn't entirely sure myself :)
My brother's a big movie fan and gets several magazines including Empire, which had a great article on Avatar this month with Cameron stating that the only way to watch the movie, because of the effects, would be with 3-D glasses in the cinema. So I was wondering how much of the experience is lost with the trailer if it wasn't shown as it's meant to be.

Evil Agent
August 26th, 2009, 01:41 PM
The movie will apparently be released in 2-D and 3-D. I'll be honest, so far I haven't been impressed AT ALL with the recent 3-D craze. I saw Coraline in 3-D and although I enjoyed the movie, the 3-D sucked. The glasses were annoying, they made the colours too dark, and the image was somewhat blurry. I don't even think I want to see Avatar in 3-D.

The trailer looked kind of cool, don't get me wrong... but considering how much hype I'd heard about it containing the most realistic CGI ever done... please. It looked sooo fake and cartoony.

kater
August 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Fair enough, it seemed from the article like Cameron fel that 3-D was the way forward and that this would be the experience of movie goers from now on. To me it's fascinating to see someone who has been a big part of the industry try to advance the medium, even if he is possibly misguided, rather than simply sitting back and raking in the money. Having not seen a huge amount about Avatar, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Evil Agent
August 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
There have been rumors as to whether or not the Hobbit films will be in 3-D... but the overwhelming fan reaction has been "Please, god, no!"

I agree. The Hobbit in 3-D would be horrible, horrible, horrible.

kater
August 26th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Interesting - Cameron mentioned in the article he's been using WETA's (?) CGI system to make Avatar and when espousing on the benefits of 3-D Jackson was one of the people he mentioned as being able to take it further ...