PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Trilogy Movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Tom Kalbfus
August 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I heard that they were going to do a movie based on Asimov's Foundation Trilogy.
Seems to me that intrinsically, its not too different from the New Battlestar Galactica Series. Basically were talking about a Universe with no aliens, just humans.

One could use the same retrotech philosophy that Battlestar Galactica used in the new series, or perhaps not. The FoundationTrilogy has hyperdrives, it definitely has rayguns, and atomic transmuters. The planets are all Earth clone worlds, so that means a lot of on location shoots whenever the scene goes planetside, add some interesting backdrops and scenery with CGI and your ready to roll. What do you think about that?

Which actor would you suggest to play Hari Seldon?

Neutron
August 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I don't know whether to be excited or terrified. Roland Emmirich is the one doing this. A man who's films involve tons of special effects and little to no story or emotion.

It's been a long time since I read the original trilogy (back in the 80's) but I remember the action being secondary to the characters actually talking to one another. Not Emmirichs strong point. So I'm not holding my breath.

And not to typecast the man but since Hari was bald and distinguished...Patrick Stewart would be the obvious choice for me.

Tom Kalbfus
August 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't know whether to be excited or terrified. Roland Emmirich is the one doing this. A man who's films involve tons of special effects and little to no story or emotion.

It's been a long time since I read the original trilogy (back in the 80's) but I remember the action being secondary to the characters actually talking to one another. Not Emmirichs strong point. So I'm not holding my breath.

And not to typecast the man but since Hari was bald and distinguished...Patrick Stewart would be the obvious choice for me.
I always imagined him as the professorial type, Patrick Steward strikes me as more of a man of action. I was thinking more of a Milton Friedman type, he's the man with the plan, he has everything figured out, and throughout most of the series he appears in a holographic projection.

I think special effects are important, especially if we are to take the series seriously. Special effects was important in Battlestar Galactica, and in an odd sort of way the Foundation series is a mirror to that. In both Foundation and Battlestar Galactica they are looking for Earth, both have or had robots in it. Thematically Foundation is character driven just like Battlestar Galactica, but unless you want it coming off like the Doctor Who series, you have to not give short shrift to special effects.

VomisaCaasi
September 26th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hari Sheldon - Max Von Sydow (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001884/)

EDIT:This picture did it for me. (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3342309376/nm0001884)

Tjos
November 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I never caught this news.... and I do try to follow the news closely. Emmerich, really? Doing an Asimov movie? Hm, doesnt sound good. I like Emmerich's movies, but he's not an Asimova kinda guy.

steve12553
November 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I don't like the idea of a Foundation Trilogy film. There are nine major sections in the trilogy with different characters and story arcs. A film would have to be merely a start. A miniseries actually would have a hard time coving the first book alone.

Moander
November 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Which actor would you suggest to play Hari Seldon?

Will Smith in da house, yo.