View Full Version : Disney buys Marvel!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

kater
August 31st, 2009, 12:57 PM
The mouse must like comics - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/08/31/disney-buy-marvel-comics/ here's hoping we get more Ant-Man and Immortal Iron Fist comics now :)

Rob B
August 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Disney practically killed the Jim Henson Co./Muppets, let's hope they don't over-sanitze the Marvel Universe.

kater
August 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Big boost for Marvel, all that stability may mean they'll give some of the less successful but popular titles more of a sniff. Maybe even some TV shows with Marvel characters in.

KatG
August 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Not to mention that they destroyed Miramax, more or less. On the bright side, after foolishly letting their partnership with Pixar go, they came back and brought Pixar in to run their animation division, so they're not total idiots. And Marvel is an excellent fit for them, as compared to others. It gives Marvel a lot of money to go after their ambitious roster of films and it improves merchandising opportunities for them, certainly. Let's just hope that Marvel isn't expected to get too Disney-ish. It's actually more of a risk for Disney, as the love for superhero films may at times diminish and the comics sales market has actually decreased.

kater
August 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM
That would be underplaying it, the singles market has been declining alarmingly for years, it's the movies, merchandise and animated versions of the characters where the money is for Disney. Although they'll have to wait for the movies yet, Marvel still have five movies owed to Paramount in their latest deal. The biggest concern is actually the comics themselves, without going into excessive history the current singles market is predicated on a single distribution network - Diamond. Disney are not friends with Diamond, if they choose to find a different distribution system, Marvel being a significant anchor on the current one would disappear. Worst, worst case scenario the singles network explodes and it's every company for themselves. It could be a brilliant, competitive revolution or the biggest bloodbath in the history of the industry from which it may never recover. In theory anyway :)

Seegee
September 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Good and bad in my view, more than likely good for Marvel's ever expanding movie empire, but I can't see it as being anything other than bad for the comics. Admittedly I haven't read Marvel since the late '90's when I became a little tired of their super hero soap operas and their belief that all they had to do to sell a title was stick an X in front of it.

Hoodwink
September 1st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Hopefully Disney put up the money and leave it alone but I doubt it. I feel Disney will pollute the product even if it's unintentionally. I desperately fear the arrival of 'Spiderman the Musical' or 'Hulk-babies'.

kater
September 1st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Just read an article on Variety that says some of the major franchises - FF4, X-Men, Daredevil and Silver Surfer - are actually tied to ongoing deals at Fox that mean as long as movies are being made within certain time periods Fox not Marvel controls the product. Seems likely a remnant of the 90's when Marvel was in dire straights and needed to get cash anyway it could.

Edit: found the link again - http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007959.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2563

Daddy Darth
September 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM
If they leave the creativity in the hands of Marvel then no problem.

I have not bought anything other then a graphic novel in years. I would love to collect a series again but they are too bloody expensive and the last few I flipped through did not have the same depth I remember. Lots of art but not a lot of story or writing (again this is based on a few random samples). Start printing them on cheap paper and pumping them out - I'll buy.

Wulfa_Jones
September 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I can't see Disney doing much with the publishing end of the Marvel business, they'll be in it for the movies, tv shows, cartoons and merch.

Hopefully we might get some more decent marvel cartoons and maybe a live action show? I've always thought the current X-Factor run would make a pretty good TV show - most of the mutants featured don't have big powers so the budget could be contained.

Anyhow, I can't see them rocking the boat too much. As Kater pointed out, the profit in the comic book market comes from stuff spun off from the core product.

Do wish Fox would give up the rights for the Marvel stuff they have... Marvel Studios seem to be doing a great job so far and would like to see cross-overs between IPs such as Spiderman popping up in the FF4 movie and so forth. World War Hulk film would be pretty cool as well.