PDA

View Full Version : Story of A Boy Who Collects Moths? Help!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ChloeRose
September 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
My mother has been telling me about a science fiction short story she read in college (~1977) about a boy who collects moths since I was a little girl. She thought it was called lepidoptera and possibly by Bradbury but I have never been able to find anything that fits. I would love to find out what it was, any suggestions?

rdwillard
September 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM
a.) I don't think it's a ray bradbury story
b.) I think you'll have to give a few more tidbits before anyone can tell you

Inue
July 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
It could be "The Cocoon" by John B. L. Goodwin: Butterfly obsessive Danny Longwood, eleven, hides away in his room tending his smelly collection of caterpillars and pupae like a mad scientist. His father, a retired explorer of note and doesn’t he let everyone know it, neglects him and his mother ran off five years ago so he’s left to his own devices for the most part. When his father refuses to lend him his enormous cigar bowl, Danny has no alternative but to dispose of his prize find – a huge mutant moth with crab and mouth-like simulacra on its wings. But the cyanide jar fails to kill it...

It appeared in "Timeless Stories for Today and Tomorrow" edited by Ray Bradbury. Featured here: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/ray-bradbury/timeless-stories-for-today-and-tomorrow.htm

I hope this helps. I'd been looking for this story for years and had nearly given up hope because it was in an anthology and I couldn't remember what the anthology was called. I had written down Bradbury (editor) instead of the name of the actual author.

llouisel
August 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I remember this story too. Totally creeped me out, but it was awesome. Did it maybe show up in an Alfred Hitcock collection too ?

llouisel
August 20th, 2010, 10:20 PM
yes, the internet is awesome. It also showed up in an Alfred hitchcok collection called Alfred Hitchcock presents: Stories Lateat Night - published in 1961. Hope that helps. Maybe you can still get your hands on a copy of one of those books.

xarina
December 25th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Is it about a boy who collects moths till one day... well, the mother of all moths comes to.. er... collect him?

I'm thinking it might be Stephen King so I'm looking for it right now...

Oh oops I see .. it was in an anthology edited by Bradbury - no wonder... Now I'm looking for the story of the honeymooning couple who find a hotel where it is sunny (and there is no more sun on earth), but when they go back to look for it they can never find it again.