PDA

View Full Version : need help with book about Callisto

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pavo6503
September 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM
This is your typical "I read this book a long time ago and for some reason I can't get it out of my head" plea for help.

So I read this book a long time ago and I can't get it out of my head.

Here are the clues:

I read the book in the mid '80s while I was in junior high. I'm 36 now.

It wasn't a long book, more like a very long short story.

It was in the school library so it was probably considered juvenile literature.

The book was about a team who travels to Callisto to investigate (pick one vague reason) A. The loss of communication with nearby colonies or bases or B. Strange radio broadcasts coming from Callisto. They find out that a pit full of some strange mineral is emitting radio waves and is the source of the problem.

During the voyage, the ship is struck by a meteorite and they must do the obligatory dangerous repairs.

There were photos in the book, but to cover up the poor costumes and heavy photo-retouching, the pictures had the contrast blown out to either pure black or pure white. A neat effect that I have always liked.

There were two girls who complained about having finished a mission on Earth's moon to clean up the dust. Why they had to vacuum the moon I don't know or remember.

The title may have had the word Callisto, or something about a voyage to Jupiter's moons.

I know I haven't given you much to go on, BUT THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY.

Thanks

Werthead
September 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hmm, check this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter%27s_moons_in_fiction#Callisto) and see if it rings any bells.