PDA

View Full Version : Help me find this book please

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Farraige
September 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I remember reading this as an extract in a larger collection of short stories/extracts.

A "seeding" ship is manned by robots, carrying embryos. they are approaching the destination planet. They finish the gestation of a baby girl, and she is brought up by the robots. they invent their own language and I seem to remember that the robots taught her what the purpose of the ship is.
As they get nearer the planet, the girl is now about 7 years old or so? they start the gestation of several other children (maybe all of them?) and the extract ended with the girl talking to the main robot and they deciding that as she is the oldest she needs a special title, and they settle on princess (or it could've been queen, one of the two)

I also seem to remember reading at the end of the extract what the name of the novel was (I can't remember), and that it was part of a trilogy, although that might be mis-remembered...

I know it's vague but if someone could help me I would be so grateful :)

B5B7
September 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
This sounds like 'Star Child' (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Child-James-P-Hogan/dp/0671878786) by James P. Hogan.

Farraige
September 11th, 2009, 06:56 AM
That's it!
I checked the amazon link and the first story, when she is 9 years old, is called "Silver Shoes for a Princess"

That is the title, I knew there were shoes in it hehe but I thought they were red!

Thank you so so much :D