PDA

View Full Version : What got you started?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Alucard
December 10th, 2001, 08:33 PM
What's that one comic series that got you interested in the whole genre?

For me it would definitely have to be x-men while jim lee was the artist. That was the first set that i ever started collecting, partly because I liked the characters, and partly because i loved the art. I'd definitely have to give some credit to spiderman as well....especially when mcfarlane was the artist, which was my favorite set of spider man comics to date (he drew hobgoblin better than anyone).

What about you?

Cauthon
December 13th, 2001, 01:22 AM
Judge Dredd
Not the 2001 AD issues......it was a normal sized comic but I can not remember the company that made them.

Keyoke
December 13th, 2001, 06:52 AM
I think when I was living in Germany (Father was in the service), that comics first peaked my interest. Kept seeing adds for "ROM, the Space Knight" and I kept, god, he's so cool.. a Space Knight!!

So, when we finally moved back to Canada, first thing I did was buy Rom #33.. First comic (Besides Archie and Sgt Rock) that I read.. Loved it, till this day, I still love that issue.. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Keyoke

Rob B
December 13th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Probably Superman and DC Comics Presents (the old Superman team-up book).

What seriously got me interested was the phenomimal 2 parter Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore.

Dropped out for a few years, then The Death of Superman brought me back.

Been out for a few months, but DK2 is getting me into the shops again.

[This message has been edited by FitzFlagg (edited December 13, 2001).]

tpetty
December 20th, 2001, 06:00 AM
My grandparents have a box of comics from when my uncle was a kid. Those are what started me on comics - the EC comics, westerns, and crime comics of the 1950's and 60's. Too bad he cut coupons out of about every cover!

Old_Wolf
January 9th, 2002, 07:04 PM
You'll laugh but Strangers In Paradise, and Deadpool.

My G/F has been into comics way longer than I have, but she got me started with Strangers In Paradise. I then read the Wizard Deadpool #0 and couldn't stop laughing. (Even though I didn't know who half of the people 'Pool killed in that ish were http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Neil Gaiman's Sandman was the clincher tho.
I started ordering comics after reading about the Endless.
Those books are pure art IMHO.

Since then I've been reading Deadpool(why did you leave Joe Kelly, why?!), several X-books, SiP, and whatever else has seemed interesting.

-Old_Wolf

How could I forget Gaiman!?

[This message has been edited by Old_Wolf (edited January 10, 2002).]