PDA

View Full Version : Help finding alternate universes themed book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Aquagraphite
September 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Im try to find a book that was using the idea of there being an infinite number of uninhabited universes/earths and being able to go to them and live there.

I think there was a company that helped in the assignment/selling of these universes/earths.

Also another aspect was that it turns out that it wasn't just humans that were doing this.

Sorry its a vague one...

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Ropie
September 20th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi, when you mentioned a company selling trips to these alternate universes it immediately made me think of Philip K Dick. Can't give you a specific title, though.

Aquagraphite
September 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Thats also what first sprung to mind but havent checked him out properly yet.

The only one close was The Crack in Space but it just doesn't sound right...

Aquagraphite
September 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
I seem to remember that there was a group of scientists (possibly three) who were working on the project who maybe accidentally worked out how to access the universes - one went off and made his own device. The main device was possibly shut down as it was difficult to control but the guy who went off to make his own made a smaller more efficient one that formed the basis for the company mentioned earlier.

Chuffalump
September 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Try Asimov's short story Living Space. Exactly like your description. I have it in his collection Earth is Room Enough.

Daviticus
September 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Piers Anthony maybe??

Aquagraphite
September 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
Try Asimov's short story Living Space. Exactly like your description. I have it in his collection Earth is Room Enough.

THATS IT! THATS IT! THATS IT!....

I thought that Nazis were in there to but didn't want to say.

Now the ultimate question is how on earth did I come across the book without reading it. Ill never know. Off to get the collection.