PDA

View Full Version : Old Classic Titles.. :)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
February 7th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Anyone have any fond memories of older titles? Wether just a story line, or a gimmick?

A few title that I remember enjoying alot was AoA by Marvel. Cancelling all the X-Titles, and then relaunching them as Age of Apocalypse story lines.. I'm always fond of that series..

A other favorite of mine was the 12 issue limited series Squadron Supreme. One of the best mini-series to date..

Infinity Gauntlet was a great series, minus all the crossovers..

Ahh.... memories. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Keyoke

Cedric Frost
February 8th, 2002, 09:41 AM
One of the first comics I remember saving my money for was called "Groo the happy Wanderer". It was a spoof of the Conan books. I always enjoyed reading those...alas I think he only lasted 30 issues.

I enjoyed the Green Lantern series in its first inception (i.e when he was alone in the series) but didn't care much for his presentation when mixed with other heros.

When I was much younger there was also a series titled Sgt. Rock... if memory serves it was set in a WWII setting. Rather enjoyable. Stories were grand (for that day and age) as was the art work.

Ogg
February 8th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Groo+Cheesedip=much death and destruction http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

jimmers777
February 8th, 2002, 11:26 AM
When I was young, before I knew of comic shops, I got my comics from 7/11. My dad would buy me one when we stopped on Sundays after church. My favorite was Adventures of Superman drawn by Jerry Ordway. To me, those are classic.

In the same vein, another classic is Uncanny X-men #191. It's the first comic I ever read (also thanks to my dad) and it's got the X-men, the Avengers and Spider-man facing off against Kulan Gath. It's still one of my favorites.

Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars, too.

Corwwyn
February 8th, 2002, 11:46 PM
I quite liked the Spiderman-Superman crossovers.

My favourite though, was probably the New Teen Titans-New Mutants crossover.

[This message has been edited by Corwwyn (edited February 09, 2002).]

Rob B
February 9th, 2002, 10:00 AM
One of the first series I started to collect and try to get back issues of was DC Comics Presents. This was a Superman-team up series that started with two part Superman-Flash story, the two had to race against each other for these two warring alien races. I know the comic is worth almost next to nothing, but it will always have a special place in my heart. I have the majority of the run of this series. Some classic tales like issue #85 (I think) teaming Swamp Thing and Superman written by Alan Moore.

The series also had some "quirky" team ups
Superman and Santa Claus
Superman and He-man

I think one of the issues I have has a letter from Todd McFarlane.

I hate to admit this but I also have the complete run of Booster Gold, kind of cheesy but a fun series nonetheless. It was one of Dan Jurgen's first series as both writer and artist, IIRC. Superman guest starred in a couple of issues and BG at one point was member of the Justice League. Not a landmark series by any means, but it was fun nonetheless.

Another classic 80s title that is one of my more treasured is Spider-Man vs. Wolverine. I think it was printed in the mid 80s involves one of Wolvies WWII buddies getting involved in some ilicit business in Germany and NY and Spidey and Wolvie after the inevitable beating the crap out of each other make amends.

saintjon
February 12th, 2002, 08:40 PM
I read Dark Knight Returns the other day and it was the greatest. One of the most rewarding things I've read in a long time. Superman being told it's time he learned what it is to be a man is the sweetest thing ever.

Wallace
February 14th, 2002, 11:41 AM
For me, one of my favorite older titles has to be Jon Sable,Freelance by Mike Grell. I think he was at his best artisticly and as a writer on this series. I think it was even turned into a tv series back in the eighties,although it didn't last very long http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

My other favorites would be the early Marvel Conans (Savage Sword & the color series) with great art by the likes of Barry Smith, John B, Frank Brunner, Neil Adams etc...
Still have most of those in my collection.

Gooch
February 18th, 2002, 05:33 AM
I used to love ROM and and GI Joe when I was a kid. Mom would buy me one every time we went to the grocery! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

There were two other series that I always loved, and could only ever find in the baragain bins at the cons, Strike Force Moritori and Camelot 2000.

Strike Force Moritori was a team book, whose members were a military unit (I think) who agreed to undergo the process to give them super powers. The one drawback was that the process was not perfected, and once you underwent the process, you would eventually die from it.

Camelot 2000 was...well....Arthur in the future. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif