PDA

View Full Version : What's Good about Comics?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

jimmers777
February 8th, 2002, 10:41 AM
People love to criticize. They love to say "this sucks" or "I hate this." Well, I'm sick of it. I'm not always the most positive person, but I try to be. Especcially about things I love. And I love comics. So what's good about them?
Let's see. Joe Quesada is drawing attention to comics at Marvel. Kevin Smith (who he ushered in and who will be writing again for Marvel soon so I give Joe the credit) and J. Michael Strazinski are both big names writing comics. We've already seen X-men (which Joe's not responsible for) and we're gonna see Spider-man and Daredevil. And he's the driving force behind trying new things with established characters and making them interesting again, good or bad.
On the DC front, they're bringing back Hawkman, Batman is consistently good and they've got Kevin Smith writing Green Arrow. Not the big glamorous changes like at Marvel, but still cool.
For me personally, I've been impressed with the writing of some comics. Amazing Spider-man has been, well, amazing. Strangers in Paradise was introduced to me by a friend and I'm actually eager to see the comic every time it comes in. That hasn't happened since I was a kid. And Kabucki. The artwork is incredible. Seriously, if you're an art fan, check out Kabucki: Metamorphosis. It'll blow you away.
All right, here's the deal, naysayers: There's good sh*t out there and I want you to acknowledge it. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

saintjon
February 18th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Well, personally I don't think you're going to find a lot of naysayers in a forum devoted to comic fans! The only ones I've been seriously into lately have been Akira and Dark Knight Returns. There's a lot of difference between the two, but they both have an intelligent, well-told and unique story line. I like all kinds of different art so I guess what makes a comic stand out to me is a good storyline.