PDA

View Full Version : We must save Batman!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

saintjon
April 13th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Okay, I spent the last few weeks hanging out in this stupid comic forum where people call theoretical superhero fights and then debate on who wins. Pretty silly to begin with, but it gets worse.

Batman, my beloved Batman, often wins against people who the Batman I've always known would get slaughtered by. They justify this with references to "canon sources" which include JLA comics. The thing is, since these damn DC writers want to have Batman hanging out with Superman, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter they have to stack his tech/abilities so high that even though conceptually he's not superhuman, practically he is. Examples: to fight with JLA caliber villains (or JLA members themselves should they get out of line) Batman has devised grenades that have a normal grenade-sized blast but are theoretically powerful enough to blast Superman's arm off!!! Apparently Batman's stealth abilities are now so ridiculous he can vanish while you're looking at him!!

What is this s&^t?! Everything I like about Batman is being ruined because of moronic DCU crossovers!! I demand justice!! We must hang these infidel writers and save Batman from the clutches of cheesy-crossover-plot-driven stupidity forever!!

Keyoke
April 13th, 2002, 03:38 PM
I dont read Batman, but, I think I understand where you are coming from. First off, with comics, creative teams change so much that at times, you'll get a writer who will outfit Batman with devices that are simply ridiculous.. It happens, and your best way to send a clearer message is not buy the book.

As to defeating uber powerful foes.. Who knows..who cares, Batman was never meant to fight the likes of Dark Seid, or Super-Man. He's a ordinary man, who uses his brain. That is what makes Batman better than all the others. That's why I am perfectly happy to read a comic with Batman in it where he fights just dudes with guns..

A great read was the series(s) done by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.. Long Halloween, and Dark Victory (I think).. Excellent..

Keyoke

saintjon
April 14th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Personally, I got a huge kick out of "The Last Arkham". It ran in Shadow of the Bat, I still have all four comics and read them from time to time.

You wouldn't believe the stuff these guys have attributed to Batman. What soured me to the forum was this thread where a mod and another guy wouldn't accept that Batman could be beaten by Darth Vader!! DARTH VADER!!! Sheesh.

What a great irony it is that one of comics' finest characters should be forever trapped in a ridiculous place like the DCU.

Zsinj16
April 15th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Well, if you ask me, I think why a lot of crossovers are crappy and don't hold much substance is because a lot of them are marketing ploys run by greedy comic distributors who care more about the customers' money than their enjoyment and satisfaction.
In my opinon, though, I think the JLA series that is being written by Grant Morrison is pretty good.

But I certainly agree about the crossover thing. In fact, the only Batman crossover I actually like is the Batman vs. Dracula one.

saintjon
April 15th, 2002, 10:15 AM
I was okay with Batman's victory over Superman in Dark Knight Returns only because of the hard-core situational advantage they gave him (plus the writing was damn cool!)

CatfoodRob
April 15th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Bring back the Joker.... all is forgiven .

Alucard
April 15th, 2002, 05:27 PM
The best batman's were Frank miller's dark knight returns, and Arkham asylum, which was drawn by dave mckean, and was amazing. Those two sets were my favorite portrayals of ol' batty. None of the others ever really grabbed me.

fluffy bunny
April 16th, 2002, 06:11 AM
batman stories- let's see

Batman: the dark knight returns
Batman: year one
Batman: the long halloween (nice use of the detective side of him)
Joker: the killing joke
A lot of the stories from Batman: the animated series and Batman of the future

And i agree- crossovers are really annoying- on another note batman 600 was excellent in my opinion- as for the rest of the bruce wayne fugitive series, i wouldn't know cos i refuse to but it

Edmund Lau
April 20th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Batman is not *just-another-tough-guy* beating up super-villians.

He is:

1) A vigilante out to stop crime
(ref. Year One, Dark Knight Returns)

2) A parent figure to Nightwing and Robin
(ref. A Death In The Family, Year Three, Lonely Place of Dying, Robin : Hero Reborn, Teen Titans Spotlight #50)

3) A detective
(Long Halloween, lots of Silver Age stuff especially the Neal Adams/Dick Giordano era)

Just my two cents.

Edmund http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

fluffy bunny
April 20th, 2002, 06:10 PM
4) In essence someone who does not want to see other people get hurt (Kingdom Come, Batman the 10 cent adventure).