View Full Version : Underappreciated comics

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Warewolf
January 11th, 2002, 07:01 AM
There are tons of comic books out there and most people must be picky of what they read on a regular basis in these days of the $2-3 comic book. The following is a list of comics that are extremely good, but that I don't think a lot of people read:

Impulse: both hilarious and touching at the same time. I, unfortunately, didn't get in on the ground floor of this title, but have been reading it for the last couple of years. Dezago's scripts are simply brilliant. They are both humorous and poignant, depending on the story. An excellent look into the life of a young teenager who just happens to be a superhero. Great stuff.

Two titles by Peter David: Young Justice and Captain Marvel. I only caught the last few issues of his Hulk run, but I love these two titles. He has such a good grasp on the characters and their interactions. Brilliant stuff.

JSA: what can I say about this title. Goyer and Johns have done wonders with these characters. Talk about high adventure. Sadowski's artwork is wonderful, too.

Anybody else? If I think of others, I'll come back and post again http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Keyoke
January 11th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Good topic. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif Both JSA and Captain Marvel are excellent titles.. I collect both, with JSA just recently..

Powers from Image, written by Bendis is one of my favorite titles.. I love it. I dont know if it is widely collected, but, a brillant title.. Best out there. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Red Star from Image. Excellent bi-monthly title. This is one story that is driven by characters.

Midnight Nation - JMS (Dude who created Babylon 5), wicked title.. I'm sadden that it's almost over in 3 issues.. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/frown.gif But, I think it might be best to have a great story, instead of drawing the series out. I just hope JMS will write more title. Rising Stars is also excellent, but, I need to re-red it from the beginning..

Keyoke

saintjon
January 17th, 2002, 06:56 AM
I don't think there's any lack of appreciation for it in the world in general, but nobody on this site responds to Akira. I cannot see how this is possible. Is there no one else who knows the wonders of this masterpiece?

fluffy bunny
January 17th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Yay, JSA, Captain Marvel, Red Star- quality comics.

Warewolf
January 17th, 2002, 07:35 AM
SaintJohn,

The only Akira I've been exposed to is the movie and I wasn't all impressed with it. Needless to say, I've never read the comics (of course, I've never read ANY Japanese comics, so...).

Alucard
January 17th, 2002, 11:26 AM
The akira comics are much better than the film. For starters, they make sense. Also, they go into much more depth than a movie ever could. But I really like the film as well. Not so much for the directing or anything along those lines, but the actual animation of the film, especially considering when it was made, is astounding. Theres so much detail its nuts. But, as a story, the manga was far better.

And I still say that lenore, black and white, and blade of the immortal dont get nearly enough attention.

saintjon
January 18th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Thanks for backing me up, Alucard!

GevuldeKex
January 22nd, 2002, 08:34 AM
Not that it is very important whether a comic is Japanese, American or Latvian, but Japan has sure given us some high quality stuff over the last years and they definitely do have a style of their own. Not only Akira, but also Ghost in the Shell, the movie and the comic, or Dominion by the same author, or Araki's Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure, and so many others. Definitely worth exploring...

Ogg
January 23rd, 2002, 06:45 AM
Have boxes of Captain America comics going wayyyy backkkkkkkkkk in time.

DC did a series called the MetalMen (1st Series) back in time and I have (2) of those that I treasure.

Many of The books I see today are very grim and dark in nature. Not what I want to spend my $$$$ on. But if you look there are some real good ones out there.

fluffy bunny
April 27th, 2002, 04:21 AM
I'd put lucifer on the unread gems list as well.