View Full Version : Help! Looking for a short story, forgot name

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

dhla82
October 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi,

I remember a short story about a man (prisoner?) released on a planet where he's being chased by a machine trying to kill him with an injection. He runs into a dinosaur that fell victim to this machine. It's in a state of living death, paralyzed and unable to move. Eventually, the machine catches him, but is programmed to kill only creatures over a certain weight, and due to all his exertions to escape, he's lost enough weight to escape unharmed.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could tell me the name of this story, please. Thanks!

Rocket Sheep
October 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
OMG! I was talking to someone about this story the other day and that is the description they used!

It's an old one, last heard by this other person in the 70s. I had an idea it was a famous writer... was it John Wyndham writing under his real name of Harris or his other name of Parkes?

dhla82
October 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I couldn't seem to find any connection between this story and the author, but I'l keep looking.

dhla82
May 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
This is an old post, but I did finally find what this story was, thanks to the fine folks at AbeBooks Book Sleuth!

PeterWilliam
June 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM
That's very cool. Thanks for coming back with the info, dhla82.