PDA

View Full Version : Short story, a human and alien must compete...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

livens
October 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I remember reading this 15 years or so ago, probably in a scifi anthology from the early nineties.

A guy and an alien find themselves in a weird desert like place. I think it was very bright for human standards, and the sand a weird color, blue?. The alien might have resembled a large ball, and rolled to move around? There was an invisible force field seperating them. Eventually he figured out that the force field didnt go up past maybe 20 feet, and he could throw a rock or something over it. I think they eventually started launching spears over it to try and kill each other.

Sometimes bits of the story come back to me, and I would really like to find it again and reread it.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Randy M.
October 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I remember reading this 15 years or so ago, probably in a scifi anthology from the early nineties.

A guy and an alien find themselves in a weird desert like place. I think it was very bright for human standards, and the sand a weird color, blue?. The alien might have resembled a large ball, and rolled to move around? There was an invisible force field seperating them. Eventually he figured out that the force field didnt go up past maybe 20 feet, and he could throw a rock or something over it. I think they eventually started launching spears over it to try and kill each other.

Sometimes bits of the story come back to me, and I would really like to find it again and reread it.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I don't recall the details well enough to be sure of these, but could the story you're looking for be either "Enemy Mine" by Barry Longyear or "Arena" by Fred Brown?

The latter was even used as the basis for a Star Trek episode in the days of Kirk and Spock.

Randy M.

suibom
October 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Funny, the description also made me think of Enemy Mine and a Star Trek episode. Though, for me, the ST episode was TNG's Darmok, in which Picard and an alien had to learn to communicate before an unknown entity destroys them. The phrase "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" randomly crops up in my conversations from time to time :P.

Peace,
- Sui

livens
October 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I don't recall the details well enough to be sure of these, but could the story you're looking for be either "Enemy Mine" by Barry Longyear or "Arena" by Fred Brown?

The latter was even used as the basis for a Star Trek episode in the days of Kirk and Spock.

Randy M.

Yep, "Arena" by Fred Brown, Thats it! I had completely forgotten the part about the war and everything.

Thanks again :)