PDA

View Full Version : Two Books Poul Anderson, Robert Silverberg, or maybe Fredick Pohl

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Gkarlives
October 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
I am looking for two different Books:

The first book is I beleive by Fredrick Pohl. All I can remember is the cover that had a man with an enlarged head reclining on a statue depicting bugs raising a flag like the famous piture from WWII on Iwo Jima.

The second book is about the earth being conquered by aliens that don't even notice us. We are like vermin running through their houses. I seem to remember the aliens as gelatinous or colored blob like creatures. I thought it might be Conquerors from the Darkness by Silverberg, but I can't get enough of a blurb to tell if it matches my memory. Also, I had to have read this bak in the late 70's early 80's in high school but I think it was older than that (60's and 70's).

Hobbit
October 24th, 2009, 03:44 AM
The first book is Black Star Rising by Frederik Pohl: see HERE (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/frederik-pohl/black-star-rising.htm).

The Silverberg I'm not sure of: there are so many!

Mark

Gkarlives
October 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks Mark. I am half way there at least.:D

psikeyhackr
October 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
The first book is Black Star Rising by Frederik Pohl: see HERE (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/frederik-pohl/black-star-rising.htm).
Mark

Great one Hobbit. I knew that cover description rang a bell but I couldn't think of a title.

psik

Hobbit
October 24th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks psik. That's how it works sometimes - sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't! - but it is a pretty memorable cover, after all!

As for the Silverberg I was thinking of The Alien Years (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/robert-silverberg/alien-years.htm), but that's later than the date you suggest (though if I remember right, it was a fix-up novel based on earlier stories, so it might be possible.)

Mark

Gkarlives
October 24th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have been doing some snooping, is it possible that it is "The Last Castle" by Jack Vance. I saw that there was a combination book with Silverberg's "Night Wing" and I thought the cover may be right. Has anyone read "The Last Castle"?:confused:

Hobbit
October 25th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Has anyone read "The Last Castle"?

Yes, it's a novella, in the Asimov edited 'Hugo Winners Volume 2'. It's been a while (I'll have to go look my copy up!) but I don't think it's what you want.

Presumably the copy you're thinking of was published as an Ace Double.

Mark

Gkarlives
October 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I may have the premis for the entire story wrong because I never read the whole thing. I am just remembering the early parts of the story where a group of people go down into this ruined city and sneak into this building where the giant creature lives (like vermin). Could this be the beginning of any of these books? Sorry for the confusion.

Hobbit
October 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Definitely not the Last Castle: it's about Castles and a Mek (a robot from an ancient war.) Combined with castles, lords and ladies.

Mark

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I remember reading a book similar. I thought it was titled Of Mice and Men but that's Steinbeck. The people were small enough to take the position of mice compared to the aliens. Oh well ifs its the same one I cant remember correct title either. If I find It I'll let you know.