View Full Version : Modern person -> medieval world

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Deeptown
October 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
What good SF or Fantasy do you know where modern person from our world falls into medieval world?
I understand that it's might not be hard SF, but may be alternative history.

psikeyhackr
October 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
What good SF or Fantasy do you know where modern person from our world falls into medieval world?
I understand that it's might not be hard SF, but may be alternative history.

Lest Darkness Fall is an alternate history science fiction novel written in 1939 by author L. Sprague de Camp. It was first published as a short story in Unknown #10, December 1939. It was published as a complete novel by Henry Holt and Company in 1941 and reprinted by both Galaxy Publishing and Prime Press in 1949.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lest_Darkness_Fall

Damn, that was written in 1939! Maybe that person wasn't too modern. LOL

psik

CaleuxDeiNeosus
October 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Michael Crichton's Timeline

Hobbit
October 24th, 2009, 07:01 PM
One of my favourites: Connie Willis' Doomsday Book

Don't let the title put you off.

Mark

Seli
October 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
YA, a bit older, probably coloured by nostalgia and originally Dutch:
Crusade in Jeans by Thea Beckman wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusade_in_jeans)

A classic (I still have to finish one day)
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, dates back to 1889, even less modern than psikeyhackr's rec.

Ropie
October 26th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Seconded! One of my favourites too.

petitsourice
October 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Don't let the title put you off.

Mark

I have to second this one. Doomsday was very good with some nice bits of humor thrown in and deliberately juxtaposed to some serious bits.

3.5 stars for me.

chaunur
March 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Eric Flint's 1632 is about a small town somehow transported to Europe in-well 1632-very good book.

JimF
March 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
There is always a Conticut Yankee in King Arthur's Cout.

On a similar vein there is the High Crusade by Poul Anderson where a bunch of medeivel crusaders end up on an alien spacehip and highjinks ensue.

suciul
March 5th, 2010, 08:42 PM
The Safehold series by David Weber fits in this schema, though it is not quite a modern person ( AI emulation of a person from the 2200's) and not quite medieval Earth (a pseudo 1600's one, but quite different in psychology since after all everyone *knows* God created humanity some 900 years ago, since there is literal proof in the 8 million or so Adam and Eves and their recollections...)