PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse (Season 2)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Erfael
September 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Just a note for those in America. Dollhouse season 2 premieres tonight at 9. Very much looking forward to it. Given it's chances of renewal last year, it's especially great to be able to see where Whedon and Co go from here. I'm hoping Fox keeps their fingers out of the pie and lets Mutant Enemy do what it does best.

saintjon
September 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Not a bad season premier but not really outstanding either. I'm interested to see where things go though.

KatG
September 27th, 2009, 12:19 PM
They had to do a lot of set-up stuff. I liked that Ballard, realizing that Echo is sorting through personalities, ragged her to trigger up the super agent one. That was just fun. And that, having found the Dollhouse, realizing that for the moment he can't do anything about it and accepting its "volunteer" nature, he immediately tries to use it to solve an old crime -- to use Echo, until he realizes that he also has to help Echo, as he'd wanted to before. That seemed perfectly on target to me.

I also liked the conversation between Whiskey and Topher. The two storylines built on the fragmentation of identity and how that forms a new type of identity, which carries on what they had in the finale of Season 1. Whedon is clearly having fun. I'm hoping for a Langton centered episode at some point, though. And it was great to see Alexis Denisof again. He's been doing mostly stage work since Angel went off air.

kater
September 28th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I think there's suggestions that they're changing it up but as sj said, couldn't help but feel it wasn't enough. I hope they don't take so long to overhaul it that the ratings start making the P-T-B twitchy.

KatG
September 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
The likelihood is that they just have this season, don't you think? I think Whedon & Co. are operating on that view. I don't think they were expecting to get renewed and they don't expect to last further, but Whedon did say that he had dozens of story ideas for the show, so if Fox does go for a third season, then they should be fine.

Although, with the way the networks are all dumping shows on Friday night now, and the DVR factor, maybe Friday nights will become the new Sunday night or something.

Jennifer P
September 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
And if they don't, Whedon may try to continue it as a comic book. (Which I'd buy for sure ;))

Erfael
September 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
The season opener had slightly lower ratings than the season finale last year, though the strength of the show's numbers seems to be with iTunes, Hulu, DVR, and DVD sales. Listening to a few insiders, it sounds like if it keeps its ratings for the next few weeks at a similar level to the season opener Fox will green light the back nine, which means we'll get a full 22 episode season as opposed to just 13. I think Fox realizes that nothing it puts on Friday is going to do especially well on-air and that the fan following of Dollhouse and its well-above-average Hulu, iTunes, etc., numbers will make it worthwhile in the long run.

I'd like to think if they can maintain their core numbers, the show could stick around for a few years...maybe just wishful thinking, but Fox really does seem to want to keep it on.

saintjon
October 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I really don't get Fox's attitude towards Joss Whedon. I've become a fan of Firefly and Serenity and I can't for the life of me figure why they'd want to cancel that show.

KatG
October 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
It was expensive and they didn't trust that Whedon's fan base would follow him from Buffy/Angel and that he could grow it larger. This seems to be a standard pattern even with cable channels -- they get all excited about a sci-fi premise, then they fret over the cost. That's what killed Heroes, actually. They couldn't have the proper fight scenes in the last episodes and finale of Season 1 because they didn't have the budget and couldn't get more, and the show went downhill from there. Right now, two big SF series -- a post-apocalypse and the V remake -- have been downgraded from series to miniseries. Dollhouse got a second season in part because they already had the sets built for the first season, but they were probably going to have to lose some regular cast, or not use them as much. Chuck has been given the same ultimatum and only 13 episodes. And ABC dumped Pushing Daisies for similar reasons.

But with Fox, there is also a lot of fiddling. When Dollhouse was going to be with Fox, because that's where Dashku's development deal was, there was an instant fear from fans that Fox would interfere, as they did with Firefly, and muck it up and then cancel it. And they did interfere with Dollhouse and muck it up and almost canceled it, but they'd exiled it to Friday nights already, and it got good online and DVR numbers. So it's got a reprieve, but they gave a reprieve to Sarah Connor too and then canceled it just as it had its groove down and was getting really good -- but also more expensive. That's why we have so many cop/law and medical shows -- they're cheaper to make.

There might be a third season. I'm just going to enjoy whatever we get.

fluffy bunny
October 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM
All I can say was the latest ep of season 2 (ep 4) has got me excited about the next few episodes. Won't get the spoiler things out yet. Lots of background coming to light and Whedon's managed to flesh out his 'souless' dolls. :cool: