PDA

View Full Version : I need help guys

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

gabador
June 3rd, 2002, 06:24 PM
Lately, I'm getting more and more and more ideas from reading all these posts. They're mostly about my book, and they would be brilliant(I think).
BUT
It could be of all that inforation overload of how all you guys would like to read a book, or how you guys would like to write a book. Anyway, whenever I sit down, and start to write, I get bored after about three minutes.
This has never happened to me in three years, and it's worrying me, that I'll forget all that I want to write.
Any suggestions on how to get back into the swing? Mental excersizes? Stuff like that?
Gabador

milamber_reborn
June 4th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Finding out the problem. Maybe it is connected to other things in your life, or reading. I get inspired from reading, Jordan at the moment.

Take a break and concentrate on collating ideas until you get excited enough to really want to write.

Holbrook
June 4th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by gabador
Lately, I'm getting more and more and more ideas from reading all these posts. They're mostly about my book, and they would be brilliant(I think).
BUT
It could be of all that inforation overload of how all you guys would like to read a book, or how you guys would like to write a book. Anyway, whenever I sit down, and start to write, I get bored after about three minutes.
This has never happened to me in three years, and it's worrying me, that I'll forget all that I want to write.
Any suggestions on how to get back into the swing? Mental excersizes? Stuff like that?
Gabador

Well, for me it goes in fits and starts.

I can start a story and churn out a few good dozen pages then the story dies or I lose interest.

I then leave it and move on to another. Or not touch the "stories" lurking in my hard drive for a while, just get on with living my life. Then I get the urge to complete one. (am doing so now as my editor/friend/demon from hell *g* thinks this one is too good to let lie fallow)

Best ideas though come when I am busy earning a living, or walking, or driving. Sometimes things just click and you regret that you are miles from a computer or a piece of paper.

Then I must be very disciplined so I get a draft outline worked out and set myself targets each day. I aim to get at least a draft copy done in ex amount of time. Then the polishing begins. adding, taking away etc. Then my editor has it and beats hell out of it. Then sends it back we argue then I re-write bits and so forth. (Great fun!)

Most of the stuff I have put up on this site is pre-editor as I was trying to make sense of the work in progress myself.

Bardos
June 4th, 2002, 09:05 AM
I don't know if it's the same problem, but it happens to me sometimes.

I write a story. Write, write, write, write--- then I hit a wall. What is called? "Boring (at least IMO) part". What do I do: try (force myself) to get past that part, so I can continue (I always write linear, no jumping back-and-forth on the plot-line). The best way to write a part you think you don't like is, start writing and try to create an atmosfaire for yourself. Sometimes, I think: "What I'll write, now, about this?" But when I'm into the part (500 words), I get into the mood.

I don't think I've helped, but anyway... :)

tamlyn
June 4th, 2002, 09:34 AM
most people seem to like to only write one story at a time, finish it and then move on. but that's a problem if you get to a 'boring' bit. i actually have about three files full of half-finished stories - it generally means i'll have something i'll feel like writing at the time. sometimes i get them out and write a sentence on each until i find i'm on one that i just keep writing. so, have but a couple of stories on your desk until you found one you feel like writing. of course, i never accidently mix up what world or plot i'm on and that could be the reason most people only write one at a time. so maybe that's not such a good idea.

milamber_reborn
June 5th, 2002, 12:11 AM
My first attempt a few years ago, aged 16-17, lasted until midway second chapter and some editing. Early last year, I had thoughts about a scene for a story in bed. The next day I started writing my somewhat lengthy novel, The Uprising. A year later I finsihed it, having written practically every day for a year. Writing every day, from 1 page to 5 pages. If I arrived at a hard scene, I just wrote it and everything turned out really good. It probably doesn't work for many people, but sticking it out can have rewards.

Shef
June 6th, 2002, 06:41 PM
You should really try to get into a routine. For example, I write for fifty minutes everyday of the week. I usally do this at around 2:30 to 3:30. Of course things change a bit when you have to outline or edit.

But, my point still stands. If you can get into a solid routine it will get your subconcius(sp) planning to write at that time period. This will make it much easier to get the words flowing.

Good luck ;)

gabador
June 7th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys. All of you have helped me out here. I have started writing again, and since I'm not really into short stories, I will look at each of my characters as one.
Basically, I have descided, that since I know what's going to happen in the future for these fortunate fellows, I will think more about the immediate happenings. And so, it doesn't overwhelm me this way.
Thanks again.
Gabador