PDA

View Full Version : 2012

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

CaleuxDeiNeosus
November 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I will admit up front that I went into this movie as a skeptic and with a totally pessimistic attitude. I was thinking along the lines of the movie being this huge religious thing about 2012 and the end of the world. To be fair, the movie IS in fact about the end of the world, no spoilers there, but I was surprised by how much I actually liked it. The acting was good, the story was pretty much Roland Emmerich taking the 2012 myth and running with it to create one of his trademark action/apocalypse movies. The movie runs true to Emmerich's style as well...namely there are many many many explosions and destruction on a scale that we've all come to expect from him. There's also plenty of by-the-skin-of-your-teeth escapes involving crazy driving, airplane stunts, and of course, the also-trademark of Emmerich, tons of situations where things are falling apart and the vehicle is just barely getting missed by all manner of flaming objects. The movie, in my humble opinion, is surely one of Emmerich's best destruction-mayhem movies yet. I recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of destruction...and maybe some who can stand the destruction for a little cliched romance. Hey, if you like cliched romance, all the power to you. I won't knock it, but it is what it is. :cool:

KatG
November 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
The only reason I have any interest in it at all is because John Cusack stars in it. Other than that, it looks like a video game. (Not that I have anything against video games.)

I liked Independence Day despite the large plot holes. I had some good laughs over the weather apocalypse of The Day After Tomorrow (truly one of the most ridiculous movies I've seen, although Total Recall and Signs beat it.) But this one doesn't seem to offer much except little models of planes and the plot is totally dumb. There was only one good line in the trailer. So is there anything else in it except CGI explosions?

Evil Agent
November 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM
I think 2012 looks like the worst movie ever made. It looks like a continuation of this downward trend in blockbuster movies getting dumber and dumber. I absolutely refuse to see it.

CaleuxDeiNeosus
November 21st, 2009, 08:00 AM
The only reason I have any interest in it at all is because John Cusack stars in it. Other than that, it looks like a video game. (Not that I have anything against video games.)

I liked Independence Day despite the large plot holes. I had some good laughs over the weather apocalypse of The Day After Tomorrow (truly one of the most ridiculous movies I've seen, although Total Recall and Signs beat it.) But this one doesn't seem to offer much except little models of planes and the plot is totally dumb. There was only one good line in the trailer. So is there anything else in it except CGI explosions?

Well there is the interesting implementation of an idea to save the human race in case of the end of the world.

The government builds huge high-tech ships called arks...but they're not spaceships. They are quite like what their name suggests, arks with all sorts of animals, painting, and the governments of the U.S, Italy, France, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, and a few others I think. They are designed to ride out the sea levels rising in response to the crust of the earth resettling. Seats on the ships are sold to the rich for one billion euros per seat. The major moral conflict comes from the fact that the governments don't tell anyone what's happening until the very end and one of the main characters believes they should have told people the whole story once it actually started.