PDA

View Full Version : Anime Movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Runebreaker
June 6th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Basically me and my one of my good friends have been having this argument about Anime. I say that you could take literature like dragonlance (Which would cost Millions to make into a movie) and instead make a cartoon movie and still make a whole lot of money because fans want to see the story with the eyes not their imagination.

My friend says that it wouldnt work and sites the LOTR cartoons as example (Which while pretty decent (except the one we dare not name) didnt make a lot of money) . He says the real draw to the live movie (Which made money) was the live actors not the story.

So i wanted to know could you guys give me your opinion so (God willing is the same as mines ) I can mock his opinion about movies till the day I die.

Thx :D

Barbarossa
June 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Well first I want mention that the thought (good quality) animation is a lot cheaper than real life action is a misconception. High quality animation like (on a purely technical level) Disney costs almost as much as the A-list life action blockbusters.

Could you make high quality animation of a fantasy?
Sure, Mononoke Hime would be a prime example.

But is is the financial risk smaller or bigger than with life action?

Well for a feature length high quality animation we are talking 50 million $ + of investment of the studio, a life action fantasy A movie would cost 70 - 130 million.

But certain stars have certain values for the secondary rights, e.g. Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't get 20 000 000 for a movie because he's great actor, or even because his movies have a great box office, because recently they didn't.
He gets it, because the studio knows they can sell the video rights for an arnie movie for a lot more than 20 000 000 even before the shooting has begun. A list movies usually are completely refinanced before they hit the first screen.

Animation doesn't have such names that draw that kind of money, with one exception: Disney, but Disney has it's own special slot, in the market, and with advantages there also come disadvantages.

Basically there are two kinds of animation: A movies for kids, mostly by Disney, and small independent or foreign stuff, for the arthouse crowd.

Too brake out of that niche isn't easy, but not impossible. A start has been made with computer generated movies, which are a) cheper and b) at the same time draw adults in a way classical animation doesn't.

Shrek or Monster inc. are examples for that development.

So, I would say the time may not be ripe yet, but it's approaching.

Cuendillar
July 15th, 2002, 07:34 AM
I think it's a good idea to make animated movies based on fantasy. It would make the movies truer to the books. Otherwise you'd end up with poorly made and silly CGI and ludicrous fight-sequences.

But it should not be manga!

chocky
August 19th, 2002, 10:58 PM
I think it is a great idea! Meaning, I would love to see that movie. Who knows if it is viable? I think it would be. However, I would prefer to see it serialized on HBO or something. Maybe in one hour episodes. The animation does'nt have to be the very best for me as long as they were loyal to the source material and aimed it at adults.
Anyhow thats my 2 cents.

kassimir funk
August 20th, 2002, 10:51 AM
I'm with ya on that one. I would love to see a fantasy work translated into animation. I don't even care if it's manga or not. Although..... the WoT would be pretty darn cool to look at if Squaresoft got a hold of it.

Someone said that animation ain't much cheaper and they're right. Final Fantasy- the spirits within, cost over 100 million. Unfortunately, I don't think it made it's money back either.

I think it's because the storyline was a bit too far fetched.

Jack Burton
August 22nd, 2002, 11:05 PM
The story line to Final Fantasy was a jumbled mess...good photo-realistic animation and CGI--but the story sank the flick!

saintjon
August 22nd, 2002, 11:25 PM
Hand R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt stories over to the crew who did the street fighter movie or the Samurai X crew and you've got a recipe for success, or at least for some very cool fight scenes.