PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - Can't remember title or author of a book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

bartman2589
November 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm trying to identify a book that I read back in the 1980's I can't remember the name of the author or the title of the book however. The basic premise of the book was based on the idea that a race of aliens had intercepted a transmission from earth which included among other things a copy of the human genome and they decided to recreate the human race on their world, well many years later the humans on their world decided they wanted to explore their 'roots' so to speak and set out to locate Earth, their 'ship' was a genetically engineered tree named Yggdrassil (that much I remember for sure), they had perfected immortality as well. Well they eventually found Earth only to find out that humanity had been killed off on Earth by a race of beings evolved from genetically altered Dragonfly Nymphs that had been developed to keep some other form of pest under control (I think it was Mayflies not sure and not important). Anyway, they also found a human outpost located somewhere that had among other things a small furry almost teddy bear like mammal crawling around in it, it turned out that this animal was all that was left of the original human race from Earth. The cover art for the paperback version I read had a kind of angled shot of part of the ship (as seen in space) on the lower right corner, and if I remember right the author's name was either in gold or white lettering). I don't remember much more about it but I'm hoping someone can help me identify it because I kind of want to re-read it, I'm kind of going through a spurt I guess where I'm re-reading a lot of the old books I read as a kid. Anyway I look forward to any help anyone can provide, TIA

Thank you,
bartman2589

PeterWilliam
November 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons?

DailyRich
November 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Looking through Wikipedia, Genesis Quest and Second Genesis by Donald Moffitt feature a starship named Yggdrasil.

bartman2589
December 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thank you both for replying, it turned out to be Genesis Quest and Second Genesis by Donald Moffitt, for some reason I thought the author's name had a 'V' or a 'Y' in it someplace so I just kind of kept looking for author's whose names included those letters. Oh well, good thing I came across this forum otherwise I would have been looking for a 'very very' long time.

Thanks again,
bartman2589

mylinar
December 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
The book is The Genesis Quest by Donald Moffitt. There is a second book in the series, Second Genesis. I have them.