PDA

View Full Version : LOTR blasphemy poll(I think)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

manticore
June 8th, 2002, 04:19 AM
OK stop me if youve seen this somewhere else because Im still not v. confident about the poll function......

here goes

We all know Peter Jackson did a very good job with locations etc. for the LOTR movie. Great effort, but obviously not perfect. So which character do you think suffered the most in the book-to-movie transition?

ezchaos
June 8th, 2002, 08:49 AM
I really didn't like the way Pippin (or Merry) were portrayed as 'comic relief' in the movie. I don't remember Tolkien using them that way in the books.
The other characters in the poll just had one, maybe two 'Hollywood cliche' lines.

Cadfael
June 8th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Because the seem to be specificaly about the movie, I have moved this topic to Film and TV...

Cadfael

fluffy bunny
June 8th, 2002, 09:50 AM
dunno- didn't finish reading the books - loved the film though

SusF
June 8th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Actually I would vote for Legolass as being the least developed in the film.

Merry and especially Pippin were comic relief in the books until they began to come into their own with the Treants.

Susan

Ogg
June 8th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Well I guess for me it would have to be Tom Bomb... No wait he didn't even make it in the movie... Oh bu:D:Der me! :o

Bardos
June 8th, 2002, 04:18 PM
That Aragon saying "Lets hunt some orcs" at the end is totaly foollish. In the book I think there was a far better explanation for not going after the hobbits than "This is their destine; they are on their own now."

milamber_reborn
June 8th, 2002, 11:49 PM
What about the overdeveloped romance? Jackson stretched the 1 minute romance of Arwen and Aragorn to at least 3 minutes.

Legolas didn't get enough development, but he and Gimli should do all right in the next movie.

manticore
June 9th, 2002, 05:59 AM
well, i think legolas got enough airtime, with him doing most of the fighting and everything. besides, in the book Legolas, Gimli, Merry and Pippin dont do much either so im willing to reserve judgment on that as well. M and P being used as comic relief is not good, true, but is still acceptable- Jackson will have a chance to make it up to them in 2 towers- where they actually do stuff.
i wish Gimli had been treated better, though. the elf-dwarf tension was v. good in the book - to make gimli this kind of comic character is a little unfair- dont touch the beard? i have the eyes of a hawk? come on.

Thoringil
June 9th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Actually I would vote for Legolass as being the least developed in the film.

Legolas was also the least developed of the Nine Walkers in the books. The others had far greater achievements... The reason being that Tolkien's Lord of the rings was the ending of the elves, as man began to take prominence. So having him do the least (other than a hefty amount of killing) keeps in context with the books.

Merry and Pippin weren't comic relief in the books, but Tolkien does mention their pranks and such...

Really, I don't think Boromir had enough development... He was killed off and mourned, but I don't think they stressed the internal conflict he felt enough... They portrayed him like Judas, which didn't seem to be Tolkien's angle at all.