PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Story with water world colonests

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

December 14th, 2009, 10:21 PM
This has been driving me crazy for a few years now.

Book is from the 80's. I'm pretty sure it is the late eighties but it might be the very early 90's as in 90 or 91 but I remember checking the year the book was written because I was a young adult and fascinated with reading things as old as I was, or older, or about the same age. I think the author was female and I'm pretty sure that the author's last name was in the middle of the alphabet around K but I might be over thinkin.

Book cover was tropical with a woman standing on it (how useful). If I remember thou her skin is golden and her fingers are abnormally long.

Story:

Main female character is a forest ranger and gets caught in a forest fire and her hands damaged. She gets a chance to get replacement hands from a doner but they are strange hands, long and slender and almost boneless. They come from a girl who has been genetically altered by her parents on this water world the company has colonized and they want her to go in as a foreman type thing and help their cause.

She has gills implanted/built. She is abit scared of the water I think but she decides to accept it for the hands. On the trip to the world she meets a young girl around 13 or so and figures out that she got the hands from the girl who is regrowing her hands.

On this water world they want to mine something and the colonists want to be free of them. The people have been implanted with gills and they have had hteir kids altered so that they have hands and feet better for swimming and they also make a slim coating to protect their skin.

The woman sees the plight of the people and helps them beat off the company. Gets over her fear of her own gills, comes to use her new hands easily, accepts that she won't ever go back to her forest that she loved and comes to love her new water based world and I'm pretty sure she finds love as well.

Not a long story, prob a bit over 200 pages in the soft back but I adored it. Sadly, I got it from the library and all the library in my home county got rid of all their old books since no one read anything.

There is a scene in the book where she gets out of a room by using her new hands to slide between the edges of the window sill and unlock the window.

I think the end is an underwater battle with harpooning and them trapping the colonists kids and stuff.

suciul
December 14th, 2009, 10:44 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is Joan Slonczewski's fiction, most notably Door into Ocean though not sure if it's what you want

December 14th, 2009, 11:01 PM
That looks like an interesting story but it isn't it. This was big company as main power/government world type.

Thank you for the help. I always check used bookstores and such for it but I've not had luck.

livens
December 15th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Its Reefsong by Carol Severance, fits your description exactly.

December 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Yes it is!

Thank you. So it was the early nineties, I knew I read it a bit before high school.

Thank you!