PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify a SciFi book / Short story...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

busterbroonie
December 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Many years ago…....... I read a sci fi story, It may have been just a short story, it may have been a novel. I dont remember the Author ot title but the story went like this…....
A guy (in the future) lived in a one roomed apartment, furniture slid in and out the walls etc, and he got a “Full Wall” TV set, the TV started to take over his life and he got another “Full Wall” set. As I remember it he ended up with all 4 walls as TV’s, his wife left, he went crazy…...........
Now here’s the thing, I would love to re-read this story, but cant find it, who wrote it etc. Does it ring a bell for anyone?
also:
It was set in the future….......lol
As far a I remember he lived with his wife, the single room / apartment had like sliding furniture, you know the bed came out the floor, the seats also, basically everything was retractable, and went away when not in use – there was no windows in the room hence the TV in the first place I guess, The door was seamlessly integrated to the walls too. The guy worked, but as his dependence on the Full Wall Tv grew he lost his job, I’m pretty sure he was married but his wife left him, He stopped seeing or contacting his friends and basically lost himself in the fantasies playing through his 360 degree TV. I think the TV set was the star of the story actually and probably had a profound message of the time but as a kid I just found it was a cracking story and it stuck with me – Albeit in very vague form.
It would have been around the late 70’s that I read it so possibly written as far back as the 50’s. The more I try to think of it the more it seems to me it was a short story rather than a novel.
As for where it was set I dont know – 99% of the story was set in the room so the location didnt seem relevent, It seems to me that there were hundreds if not thousands of similar rooms / apartments in the block though. It also seemed important that the story unfolded as each wall was converted to a TV set and Each TV set was a nail in his dependence to it…......
Sorry, not much details.

Thanks in advanced for listening.

livens
December 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Check out Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Sounds like Mildred and her parlor walls.

busterbroonie
December 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Check out Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Sounds like Mildred and her parlor walls.

Thanks for the reply.
While it has similar elements, the story I'm thinking of was JUST set in this guys apartment - 99% of the time it was ther so the other elements in 451 are not there.
Appreciate your response though.

BB

rainswept
April 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the 1963 short story "The Walls" by Kieth Laumer. It was anthologized in Nine by Laumer in 1967.

busterbroonie
April 20th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I just Downloaded the story and you are spot on! it's the Walls by Laumer.
Many thanks.
Now to read and re-live a wee bit of my childhood. lol