PDA

View Full Version : Choice of writing medium?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Colossus
June 9th, 2002, 01:36 AM
I am curious as to what medium the rest of you use when you are writing. At work when I am performing process or business writing I do a better job on the computer. However, when I am writing SF I seem to think better using paper and pencil (eventually translating it to disk).

Holbrook
June 9th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Both to a degree. I compose on the computer. Rattle the story or the basic frame work off. Then when I am into editing I print it off and read it slowly marking up in red.

Then back and forth change, re write, print off read, mark up....

Erebus
June 9th, 2002, 03:34 AM
We may get a better response to this in the Writing section, so I'll slip it into there and see how we go. ;)

Thoringil
June 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Usually, I'll end up jotting something down during a class or at night, doing homework, whatever... Then, once I have access to a computer, I'll add to it and polish it off.

gabador
June 9th, 2002, 12:58 PM
I very rarely use paper. Most of my work is on the computer, and it is only occasionally that I print it off. It would take up too much paper. I draw on paper. I tend to do my story-related drawings myself, and then scan them on the computer.
Gabador

Bardos
June 9th, 2002, 01:14 PM
I, more or less, work as you, Gabador, though I do print it out. But, if you work on your PC, I hope you keep alot of backup and/or save in the net. :) You never know what might happen to your HD. I've formated mine many times, for various reasons. And it's a same to lose your work that way.

gabador
June 9th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah! Too true!
I nearly had a heart=-attack a couple of months ago. I was looking for my book on my hard-drive after formatting, made a backup ealier... But no! Wasn't there. Looked on the other PC! NO! Looked on floppys, nothing. I hought I would die...
But thankfully, I sent a copy of it to a frien earlier that week, and he sent it back o me. I was really lucky. So Now I have it on a floppy, three seperate hardrives, a laptop, and on the net. Just in case. :) Better safe than sorry:)

Colossus
June 9th, 2002, 04:28 PM
I think I write better on paper because the writing I do at work, which is on a PC, is is very procedural and technical. Whenever I try to write my book on a PC I can never get in the right mindset. Strangely enough when ever I am writing an analysis at work, which tends to require much more creativity than writing the actual process or procedure, I do most of it on paper first. I guess it's a right brain, left brain thing. :)

Miriamele
June 9th, 2002, 05:19 PM
I always jot down my rough ideas, characters sketches, and such in a ratty old notebook (I have several kicking around). Then I write the actual story on my computer.

milamber_reborn
June 10th, 2002, 12:36 AM
I've got a heap of small pieces of paper lying around with notes and names and stuff, but everything I do is on computer. It saves time and is easy to edit (for me anyway).