SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Asraloth
June 10th, 2002, 12:51 AM
hi guys and gals.

ive recently decided to make my fantasy world into a 17th century-like world, with gun powder and such. its not alternate hstory, its totally imagined.

i know alot about the old muskets and stuff, but i'm just worried that my setting is not appropriate.

its got some magic and fantastic creatures, and im fairly confident in my abilities to make it believable, but i just want to know, is guns in fantasy a big no-no?
cos i have not seen one book where there was a created fantasy world with them in it. they tend to be all medieval, pre-gunpowder.

LeMort
June 10th, 2002, 04:51 AM
There are loads of fantasy novels that feature guns, so don't worry about it.

Fantasy doesn't have to be knights in shiny armour and swords :)

Ashgan
June 10th, 2002, 05:15 AM
yeah, no reason to worry, it's already been done before, and with success. there's even a computer game (role - playing fantasy) that's set in the time of the first industrial revolution. it's called something like "of gunpowder and magical obscura". it is very well done, you might wanna check it out, just for some inspiration.

LeMort
June 10th, 2002, 06:45 AM
The game you mention is actually called Arcanum.

Killer Chicken
June 10th, 2002, 12:32 PM
You should read Michael Stackpole's Once a hero or his new Dragoncrown Series because he uses guns excellently in both of the novels. They are set right when gunpowder is just being first used. They are great *said in a Tony the Tiger imitation*!

Gary Wassner
June 10th, 2002, 01:19 PM
This is a really interesting subject! As far as I am concerned, I hesitate to introduce anything modern into what I write. Again, this is simply my point of view! It just does not feel right to me to bring in weapons that are so 'mechanical'. It makes the fantasy world setting seem anchored somehow in our world, and though it shouldn't and it is not logical, it complicates the other reality for me. I have never enjoyed fantasy that occurs in more modern times or even times that are identifiable! I need and want the setting to bear little resemblance to anything I have every known, and modern weapons bring it all too close to home.

SirRob
June 10th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Actually the full title is Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magic Obscura (me thinks). I played the demo and its a very good rpg and has a really good game world, didnt do very well i think. That was a bit off topic unfortunately :D

Shef
June 10th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Again I will point you to my hero, ideal, and role model, Mike Stackpole. In The Dark Glory War he introduced guns into his book and it made it a better book for it. If you can do it artfully I say go for it. You have nothing to lose, and a compelling story to gain.

wastra
June 10th, 2002, 05:30 PM
I've written a couple short stories based in victorian europe. It actually makes a GREAT fantasy setting. Such historical/fictional characters such as Jules Verne, Sherlock Holmes, Captain Nemo, etc are already in existence for templates. Mad scientists, Automatrons, Supernatural magics, Secretivce Sorcerors- they all havea place (and indeed exist in classic writings) in the period.

Victorian Europe is an IDEAL spot for a vacation from the ho-hum commonality of goblins, castles, and swords.

You can easily incorporate fantastic races into the setting as well. There is Africa, the dark continent, where tales of beasts and strange creatures abounded. The South Pacific where medicine men were thought to practice dark arts. It should be easy to create a setting.

estranghero
June 10th, 2002, 06:32 PM
That's interesting, wastra. Got any samples there?