PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory birth control?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

MsBatt
January 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'd love any help anyone can give me on finding short stories dealing with this. I vaguely recall one titled something like "The Taming of Tiger McGrew" wherein a couple had to apply for a license and pass a test in order to have a kid---they had to take home and care for an android toddler that was programmed to drive them nuts.

But the one I REALLY want to find was published in the 80's, I think it Asimov's. In it, a disease goes around that renders all the women sterile. After about five years, a 'cure' is found---a woman who earnestly desires to become pregnant must eat NOTHING but this bland paste for at least 30 days, and her reproductive cycle will begin again. There were hints that the very scientists who came up with the 'cure' had invented the disease to begin with.

And of course I'd love names of any others that fall under this heading.

Ropie
January 2nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
I'd love any help anyone can give me on finding short stories dealing with this. I vaguely recall one titled something like "The Taming of Tiger McGrew" wherein a couple had to apply for a license and pass a test in order to have a kid---they had to take home and care for an android toddler that was programmed to drive them nuts[...]And of course I'd love names of any others that fall under this heading.

Brian Aldiss has a collection entitled Super Toys Last All Summer Long: And Other Stories and whilst I cannot be certain it contains the story you are looking for, it certainly deals with some similar themes.

MsBatt
January 2nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you---I'll check that out. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
There was a book in the Laser Books series named Unto the Last Generation that might fall in this theme. Seems like it was book 11 of the series.

The Bright Companion by Edward Llewellyn is a take on that theme. Fertile women are sought after. Some drug had made majority sterile.

Jennifer P
March 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
It is either not in 90s Asimov's, or has a different title.

I DO own that story. Somewhere. But I don't have time to search further right now.