PDA

View Full Version : What's you favourite era for writing?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Shannon
June 11th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Personally I find it easier to write in a quasi-classical era than just about any other era of history, although I also find the bronze age conducive to popping out a story.
Recently I've noticed a fair bit of discussion on this site about industrial age fantasy and was wondering what eras other people preffered for their writing.

Holbrook
June 11th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Mostly the early middle ages more 12th and 13th century.

But my latest piece, borrows a lot from "the old west" Too much "Wagon train" as a child :D.

Mixed with a good dollop of sword play aka three musketeers.

Spiced with a little magic!!!!

All twisted round together with tongue firmly in cheek.

Seems to have worked, very pleased with "it"

In fact it has given birth, I have a thousand years to play with and four very strong main characters.......

Erebus
June 11th, 2002, 08:18 AM
My fantasy series was not your run-of-the-mill Sword and Dragon type epic, as those who have read my books will know. It was set in relatively recent times, and a few years into the future, as well as a few flashbacks from centuries past.

Its sequel, my current novel-in-progress, Bortag's Curse, is set mostly in ancient Asia Minor, circa 3000BCE. The research for this period has been both fun and enlightening, with the added bonus of there not being all that much documented history for the period and location I have chosen, allowing for a fair amount of artistic license,whilst remaining cognizant of the era's real history.

Choosing such a setting to continue and embellish my Erebus legend has been both challenging and rewarding. Hopefully, the novel will be out next year some time and readers will be able to see for themselves if such a task has been a successful one! :)

gabador
June 11th, 2002, 09:13 AM
I don't have an age for my fantasy. It's completely sprung from the bowels of my mind. I mean I have huge forest, some castles,swords, but not so much that you could pinpoint it into this world's history. I made up a world with its own history, and I make no references into this one's at all

Shannon
June 11th, 2002, 08:43 PM
When I say era I mean technological and sociological more than coming from any period in earth's history, the great majority of fantasy is set late darkages, early medieval. With kings, castles and wot not. The question was more aimed at do you prefer to use knights and castles, legions and empires, early age discovery or do you mix them up a bit?

milamber_reborn
June 11th, 2002, 11:02 PM
A small city like Oliver Twist London for my novel, The Uprising.

My other planned novels range from Earth in the near future, to medieval fantasy, to modern day horror settings.