PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember title or author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ziggyst
January 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I can't remember the title or author of a book I read as a child. It goes something like this

She is an investigator for a multi- planet/star system government organization. On a planet settled relatively recently someone has died/murdered with an important piece of information missing. The culture that has developed there is a bit difficult for them to penetrate so she is sent. It is a water planet and she is bioengineered to have gills and be able to handle the life there. She finds intrigue, maybe an undiscovered sentient species . . . .

Thanks for the help.

Charlie
February 24th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Your description sounds a bit like one of the subplots in Alistair Reynolds "Revelation Space" books/stories. In one of the story lines there is a water planet with sparse land populated by humans. Living in the water is a possibly sentient (but annoyingly unresponsive) plant-like life form that I believe were called Pattern Jugglers. Some humans could mentally bond with them and were forever changed. I've often wondered if Reynolds was influenced by Lem's "Solaris".

Charlie

Pennarin
February 25th, 2014, 05:30 PM
This in no way sounds or resembles the plot or setting of Revelation Space, only vaguely resembles some isolated setting elements. In any case, where you a child in the year 2000-2001?

Maybe if you told us what years you think your read this? When were you a child?

Could you categorize the cover as 50-60s, 70s, 80s, 90s?