PDA

View Full Version : A human and alien must fight to the death to decide which race survives

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

inthemud
January 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
This short story takes place on a planet that one human and one alien are teleported to. The two races have been at war but have never even seen each other. There is a genetic/chemical reaction in both species of revoltion whenever they are anywhere near each other causing each species to violently hate the other. The two individuals are placed on the planet by unknown forces as a test to determine which species will survive of the two. They are separated by an invisible barrier.

I have been searching for this short story for years but have had no luck finding anything about it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

livens
January 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Except for the genetic/chemical reaction I would say its Arena by Fredric Brown.

inthemud
January 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Awesome! Awesome! I have been looking for that for years! You are correct, that is the story. I could have sworn that there was some biological reason why the two species hated each other. I am looking forward to reading it again. Thanks, livens!

livens
January 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
No problem.

And you can read it for free here:

http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arthurs/brown-f/arena10.html

inthemud
January 22nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks! I sent my girlfriend to the library earlier and they had to get it shipped from another local library so it would not be here until next week. Man, the interwebs is a god send. So is this forum. And the members, [begin ego boost] such as yourself, livens [/end ego boost].