View Full Version : Caprica

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
January 24th, 2010, 06:27 AM
It would be too easy for me to re-arrange a few of the letters in the title of this new show and make a word I feel best describes it.

Having never managed to get into BSG despite many attempts to do so, I figured I would try the prequel.

The inital concept is something that might have appeared a an Outer Limits/Twlight Zone story. I won't go into spoilers, but the story deals with territory that has been well explored in various books, films, TV shows and comic books.

I found it confusing from the start, although the questions raised within the first 15 minutes are explained later, it still left me feeling a little disoriented - not a good start since the show is supposed to be accessible for people who never watched BSG or aren't fans of Sci-Fi in general. Not a good start for any TV show really.

It has the look of a glossy soap opera and even the writters have compared it to Dallas with a Sci-Fi twist. I suppose in a sense it is pure Sci-Fi, dealing how technology changes peoples lives.

Based on the first part of the mini-series, this isn't the show for me. I had to force myself to stick with it. I enjoyed the trashy Starz Spartacus: Blood and Sand more than Caprica which takes itself a little too seriously in my humble opinion.

JimF
January 24th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I had just about the exact opposite reaction to it. I thought it was well acted and well written. It adresses larger questions than just the one that could easily be the zone or outer limits.

I think the comparison to Dallas is unfortunate. They want to appeal to a larger audience than a "Typical SF show. The general public thinks Sci Fi is only spaceships and robots and has no depth. Most of us know the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Jim

Loerwyn
January 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I was pretty reluctant to try BSG, but my friend persuaded me to order the 3hr pilot on DVD, and I loved it.

My question about Caprica is do I need to watch the whole lot of BSG to understand it?

JimF
January 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I have only seen the pilot too, but i dont think so.

Evil Agent
January 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
No, you don't need to have watched BSG. BSG takes place 40 years after the original human/cylon war. Caprica takes place roughly 50 years before BSG, as humans are beginning to develop the technology that leads to the creation of the cylons.

So all you need to know is at some point, in the next few years, there is supposed to be a major war. Not sure if they'll get that far with the series, or when. Perhaps that's how Caprica will end?

Personally, I really enjoyed the pilot and am looking forward to following the series.

Loerwyn
January 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks Evil Agent, sometimes you can never be too careful :)

SLASH
January 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Loved BSG so I will probably like this one as well
Is it a mini or a whole new series ?

Evil Agent
January 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Loved BSG so I will probably like this one as well
Is it a mini or a whole new series ?I believe it's a whole new series.

SLASH
January 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I believe it's a whole new series.

Cool !
What about the characters ?
Anyone from BSG returning ?

JimF
January 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Cool !
What about the characters ?
Anyone from BSG returning ?

As noted above, the events on Caprica predate Galactica by abou 40 or 50 years. Not a lot of room for the same characters, maybe a young Will Adama, or young Sol Tigh

Jim