PDA

View Full Version : Good day for SF/Fantasy at the Oscars

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

DailyRich
February 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Avatar and District 9 got a lot of love, including Best Picture nominations for both and an Adapted Screenplay nomination for District 9. And Coraline got a well-deserved Best Animated Feature nomination.

Really, really pleased to see District 9 get this kind of recognition. Definitely a more thought-provoking film than Avatar, and I could even make an argument for the special effects being better integrated into the film.

Jennifer P
February 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
I would rather see District 9 win than Avatar. I would also rather see District 9 win the Hugo.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be obliged. Avatar has become a phenomenon and the fact that District 9 was better science fiction has been eclipsed.

Although I liked Avatar a lot, I do not consider it to be one of the best science fiction films of all time...a distinction I will readily give to District 9.

Sparrow
February 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
I guess tastes are different... I thought District 9 was horrible.
As for Avatar, all it took was the promotional trailer and I knew it was not a movie I'd appreciate.

Give me Blade Runner, Alien, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Brazil, Planet of the Apes, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Jurassic Park, The Road Warrior, The Omega Man, Star Wars... all much better than District 9 and Avatar.

KatG
February 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Avatar was a ground-breaking movie, but not a very good film. District 9 was a good film with set-up problems, but well-acted and took a risk, even if it didn't work for some. But The Hurt Locker was overall brilliant and should win, so while I appreciate the nods to SFF, I'm not actually rooting for any of them, except I think Up should probably get the animated feature award.

Jennifer P
February 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'll be absolutely shocked if Up does NOT win animated feature.

psikeyhackr
February 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Avatar should win some kind of awards for the advances in special effects but The Abyss will always be a far better flick. Avatar just looks really good. In 5 years it will be a yawn because EVERYBODY is doing it. Like the bullet time from The Matrix.

psik

BlueAngel
February 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Avatar should win some kind of awards for the advances in special effects but The Abyss will always be a far better flick. Avatar just looks really good. In 5 years it will be a yawn because EVERYBODY is doing it. Like the bullet time from The Matrix.

psik

I agree. I actually liked Avatar, but kept wishing for a better storyline. The Abyss is one of my all time favorites. :)