PDA

View Full Version : Samari type battles aliens that feed on emotions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Cactus
February 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Probably from late 70's early 80's. A warrior roam his world trying to reach the space ship that brought his people to this planet while fighting unseen aliens that hunt in packs and feed off of emotions. For some reason two things come to mind on this book "The Way" and "wayfarer". Hope someone can help as I'd really like to reread this book...

Sarah4980
February 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
The only book I can think of with wayfarer in the title is called The Wayfarer Redemption, and it's by Sara Douglass. It doesn't have spaceships in it, though.

Sarah4980
February 10th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I think this might be the book you are looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Way-farer-Dennis-Schmidt/dp/0441876250

dragonwind
February 16th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I believe I recall the story well that you mention, though cannot seem to locate the title. Perhaps this will help.

The earth experiences a cataclysm (toxin is released?) and everyone's sense of smell is dramatically heightened. This is related to the appearance (discovery) of aliens who feed on emotions. Lots of people go nuts and the aliens feed on this.

Our hero is a samurai without a master -- ronin. I thought "Ronin" might be the name of the book, but it doesn't come up on a quick search... still, this is close I think. I also think this is a trilogy -- with each book having a suitable Japanese word for its title.

The hero in the end solves the problem by learning to "carry" the aliens -- essentially creating some sort of cognitive/spiritual connection. In addition to this innovation, he has some sort of test where he has to carry LOTS of them...

All I recall; hope this helps.

Sarah4980
February 17th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Ronin is the second in the series. The link I pasted above goes to the Amazon page for the book called The Way-Farer by Dennis A. Schmidt. Here it is again:

http://www.amazon.com/Way-farer-Dennis-Schmidt/dp/0441876250

If you scroll down a little ways you will find a synopsis.