View Full Version : Help can't recall title ot author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

thepaladin
February 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hi all.
I'm rather new here and would like to ask for some help (and some of you may know me from other science fiction/ fantasy threads).

There is a short story (I think it was a short story), a while back. It concerns a starship with a crew devided in two. Half in suspended animation while the other hlf is awake. The ship is roboticly cleaned between shifts, so the two crews never have any contact. Upon one awakening the main character finds an earring, I believe it's in a sink. He concels a note for the owner before he goes back into suspended animation. Upon his next awakening he finds that his note has been answered. The two continue to comunicate in this way.

I can't recall the title or the aurthor...can anyone help?

Thanks

tulsa
February 12th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I don't know the story, but it sure sounds good! I hope somebody remembers this one.

thepaladin
February 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM
LOL I've asked this elsewhere and gotten the same answer.

livens
February 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
This story sounds very familiar to me. But after an hour on google trying to track it down... nothing.

thepaladin
February 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I know I've been down the same road. I can't place it but I've run on a lot of people who vaguely remember it...but can't name it or come up with an author.

stinkycats
February 14th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Some of those vague memories might be attributed to folks recalling the 1993 romantic comedy, "The Night We Never Met," which used a similar concept of leaving notes (though it wasn't in a spaceship but in a New York apartment).

livens
February 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Some of those vague memories might be attributed to folks recalling the 1993 romantic comedy, "The Night We Never Met," which used a similar concept of leaving notes (though it wasn't in a spaceship but in a New York apartment).

I do think Ive seen this on TV, but it was scifi'ish. On one of those Twilight Zone spin offs?

Randy M.
February 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
This is a long shot because the plot elements don't really match, but just in case ...

Could it be Phil Dick's "Frozen Journey," a.k.a., "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon"?

Randy M.

thepaladin
February 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks, but that's not it. And it is a science fiction story. I even remember reading a discussion of it at some point in the past, but I can't pull the details out. I appreciate everyone efforts.