PDA

View Full Version : Vibgyor

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keedo420
February 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hello. I am trying to find the name of an author and short story I read many years ago. The story was published as part of a collection of science fiction short stories by various authors in a paperback novel format but was part of a regularly published series, so I guess it was more like a magazine. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the publication but I believe it was published in the 60's.

Anyway, the story focused on a woman. I remember very little about the story itself. I believe it took place on some sort of space station and she was a security officer or something along those lines. The thing I remember most about the story though, was what she did in her free time, which was to play a game called VIBGYOR (a reversal of the visible color spectrum in rainbows... Red, Orange, Green, Yellow, Blue, Indigo, Violet) in which each player controlled a colored sphere. The player would move their sphere around the combat arena using an arcade-like control console attempting to eliminate the other players by destroying their spheres. The spheres could change shape to give them different attack/defensive properties. For example, in one instance, an attacker changed their sphere into a rod in an attempt to ram another player's sphere but the defender changed their sphere into a ring so the attacker passed through harmlessly. And in another instance, a defender destroyed an attacking sphere by changing theirs into a wall-like shape and falling forward to flatten the attacker.

I always thought it was a great concept for a video game (and could be done very well with today's technology and a more thorough explanation of the game). I've been wanting to read the story again for a long time, but I don't remember the name of the publication, which issue it was in, or the name of the author, so if anyone recognizes what I've described and has any info on it, I'd really appreciate it.