PDA

View Full Version : Starship "The Hound of Heaven"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ffrickey
February 22nd, 2010, 08:45 AM
I'm looking for the title and author of a book I read probably back in the 50s. It's about a young man who gets shanghaid onto a starship called "The Hound of Heaven" (the only unambiguous detail I recall). At first he's more or less a prisoner. The starship trades in the galaxy, and everytime they get back to earth about 400 years have passed (relativity) and they are never sure what kind of welcome (if any) to expect.

I loved this book as a teenager and am very curious how it would read now.
Any advice is welcome.

livens
February 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Look up To The Stars or Return to Tomorrow by L. Ron Hubbard.

From Wikipedia:

To the Stars is a science fiction novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. The novel's story is set in a dystopian future, and chronicles the experiences of protagonist Alan Corday aboard a starship called the Hound of Heaven as he copes with the travails of time dilation from traveling at near light speed. Corday is kidnapped by the ship's captain and forced to become a member of their crew, and when he next returns to Earth his fiancee has aged and barely remembers him. He becomes accustomed to life aboard the ship, and when the captain dies Corday assumes command.

Hubbard's story was first published by John W. Campbell in two parts in a serialized format in 1950 in Astounding Science Fiction. It was first published in book format in 1954 under the title Return to Tomorrow, and was published in hardcover in 1975 under the same title.

ffrickey
February 22nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Thank you very much! (Though I'm a bit embarrassed to admit an L. Ron Hubbard book impressed me so much in my youth).

JimF
February 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
You were probably young in your youth. :)