PDA

View Full Version : Writing Comics

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

DocSync
June 15th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Anybody else here interested in writing comics instead of prose ?
I've always found it tough doing more than one or two pages of prose before I dry up or get stuck or it just doesn't read very well when I read it back, but I can do a comics "script" - with thumbnail sketches - all day.
Is it just me ?

Qin
June 15th, 2002, 05:45 PM
When I was younger, I always imagined myself as a comic book writer, since I have little understanding of proportion or lighting. But I lost taste in the genre ever since Madieura left X-Men and Liefeld blew up over at Image and left. Besides, Liefeld and his clones helped kill the genre. Thus, I thank the gods for Grant Morrison and Alan Moore.

Bardos
June 16th, 2002, 03:24 AM
In my younger days (no I'm not THAT old :D), I also wrote comics, but later I quit, for two reasons: I wasn't so good at the pictures as I would have liked (and I don't like it if I'm not professional-like about it); and I found that with prose I can express myself better. That, of course, is strictly personal opinion, but since ye asked.... :)

DocSync
June 16th, 2002, 03:21 PM
A lot of people are put off comics by having to get the artwork done. I can't draw very well, but I can make models, so I turned to 3d graphics. It's harder in some ways, but I get to control it all just the way I want. Also, my ideas tend to be very visual, and more suited to a visual medium anyway.
As you say, Bardos, it's all personal :)

-Doc

Ladijen
June 17th, 2002, 01:45 PM
I'm involved in a long-term (VERY long-term!) comic book project with two other people. Two of us are doing the writing and story-line organization and the third person is a very talented artist. Hopefully it will work out.

DocSync
June 18th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Just after my last post, I thought I'd have a dabble at some prose. I've put it up here http://www.geocities.com/dr_synch/electric1.html

Give me your comments.