View Full Version : Looking for a narrative

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Deckard-6
March 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hi all,

I am so glad I found this forum! Apart from instantly bugging you with a question I intend to spend a lot of time here, reading all the best-of-lists and recommendations thoroughly. Although I am not exactly looking for something I have lost, I still considered this sub-forum the best place for it, for you could say I’m am looking for something, just not one particular novel, but rather a narrative.

I am a student of Comparative Literature with a recently developed interest in science fiction and have sought to inject this interest into my studies. However, because this is a rather recent interest I do not have the kind of science fiction repertoire I would have liked. For an upcoming paper I would like to discuss a certain science fiction narrative and I was hoping you could recommend me some novels which correspond to this narrative.

What I am looking for is, I believe, already a quite traditional science fiction trope; humanity is at peril due to some external threat—for example an alien race or a global virus—and it realizes that this threat goes beyond the national borders; that if it wants to overcome this threat it is to unite. So from this threat stems a realization of interconnectedness which goes beyond nationality, ethnicity, gender, etc, because the peril of that external threat transcends those categories.

Now, I already intend to use Battlestar Galactica, which, although it isn’t a novel suits my purpose prefectly, and I have recently purchased Jem by Frederik Pohl but now, after reading some reviews, I am not quite sure this is exactly what I am looking for.

So I would be very thankful I you could help me on my way in this search for a novel which embodies these characteristics (and in that way kinda resembles Battlestar Galactica)!

Thanks in advance!

Deckard-6.

stinkycats
March 2nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hmm, Larry Niven's "Footfall" might be close, although its sensibility comes out of the cold war and the protagonists are mostly American. Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" deals with an already mostly united world, but touches on a lot of the supra-nationality issues you're looking for. Frank Herbert's "The White Plague" uses an engineered virus and does deal quite a bit with a "world response" theme. Then there's the classic "War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells, but it's pretty much British protagonists.

A movie which much more closely fits you needs is "Independence Day" which definitely shows the "rise above nationalities" theme you're looking for. Also, the "Mass Effect" game series is an example of uniting humans and other alien races.

You're best bet is to do a search on "alien invasion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_invasion)" to find samples of SF that would more closely fit your needs. The heyday for alien invasion themed works was in the 50's during the height of the red scare, so your most fertile ground for finding novels of that type will be there.

Deckard-6
March 5th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Stinkycats, thanks a lot for your recommendations! Footfall sounds really intriguing and might really serve my purpose, I will really look into that one along with Starship Troopers which I already intended on reading. Independence Day—can’t believe I didn’t think of that myself—is also a great one to look at in this context. Once again, thanks a bunch, you have been of great help!

Deckard-6

chaunur
March 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
John Ringo's Posleen series might fit the bill, A Hymn Before Battle is the first in the series. David Weber's Dahak series is probably an even better choice, it starts with Mutineers Moon but the second book, The Armageddon Inheritance, deals with the world attempting to unite to face a threat.

DailyRich
March 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Turtledove's World War series is precisely what you're looking for -- World War II is interrupted by an alien invasion. But it's four books, so it might be a bit much to tackle in the time you have.

Deckard-6
March 9th, 2010, 08:47 AM
John Ringo's Posleen series might fit the bill, A Hymn Before Battle is the first in the series. David Weber's Dahak series is probably an even better choice, it starts with Mutineers Moon but the second book, The Armageddon Inheritance, deals with the world attempting to unite to face a threat.

Turtledove's World War series is precisely what you're looking for -- World War II is interrupted by an alien invasion. But it's four books, so it might be a bit much to tackle in the time you have.

Thank you both very much for your suggestion, I will definitely look into all of them, although what I indeed found problematic in my search was that I found a lot of novels that were part of substantial series, series which I do at the moment not have the time to read entirely in order to discuss them in my paper. But both of your suggestions sound spot on, so thanks! Maybe I can take them up and perhaps sacrifice a night of sleep here and there. What’s sleep anyway, right?

Deckard-6

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM
There are early original novels in the Stargate universe, at least one of which has earth mobilizing to repel aliens invading. Stargate 03: Retribution.

Alan Dean Foster has a trilogy where Earthlings become the Mercs of the universe. Which also involves the Earth being invaded once the other side find out where Earth is. First book is Call to Arms.