PDA

View Full Version : sunshine,

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

chaunur
March 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I just watched the movie 'Sunshine' and it reminded me of an old short story that goes something like this.....The sun was dying and the earth was frozen solid and humanity had retreated underground. A plan was devised and a mission was sent to 'relight' the sun. This was going to be accomplished by dropping a number of bombs into the sun. I seem to remember that each bomb consisted fo a different element.Right before our hero sets off on the mission he and his girl watch the feeble sun rise from an observation dome and he tell her he will return in the sunlight. By this he meant the the sun would be shining again when he returned. As it turned out the ship got caught in the suns gravitational field and and was destroyed. The story ends with her sitting in the same observation dome as the newly restored rises and she realizes he will not be returning except as part of the sunlight.

I think this was written in the 50's or 60's but I cant really be sure. Anyone out there have a clue as to the name and author?

chaunur
March 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Found it, 'Phoenix' by Clark Ashton Smith. the folks at Baens Bar at www.baen.com found it. Heres a link to the story if your curious.

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/164/phoenix