PDA

View Full Version : John Hurt and Terence Stamp join WH40K movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Werthead
March 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
A Warhammer 40,000 movie is currently in pre-production. Dubbed Ultramarines (http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/), the movie will be fully rendered in CGI, using the enormous art resources of the 24-year-old miniatures game and fiction line, and will be independently produced for DVD release. The script is being written by Dan Abnett, the most popular author of Warhammer-related fiction (and one of the biggest-selling SF authors in Britain).

Three major actors have been announced (http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/articles/news/2010/Terence-Stamp-Sean-Pertwee-and-John-Hurt-to-appear-in-first-Warhammer-sci-fi-movie-14695.php) as providing voiceovers for the movie: John Hurt (the first-ever victim of an alien chestburster in Alien), Terence Stamp (Superman II's General Zod) and Sean Pertwee (that guy who dies a lot in movies). In addition, providing solid backup will be Donald Sumpter (recently seen as Kemp in Being Human and soon to be seen as Maester Luwin in HBO's Game of Thrones), Steven Waddington (from The Tudors) and Johnny Harris (The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Dorian Gray and the forthcoming Black Death, alongside Sean Bean).

The actors discuss their roles here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuH9kNc-MNs).

The most entertaining moment is John Hurt - a distinguished, multi-award winning actor - revealing his foreknowledge of the WH40K universe gained through his son being an enormous fan, and Donald Sumpter dryly pointing out the rarity of being asked to play eight-foot-tall armour-plated killing machines at his age.

This project, which previously I had been dubious about due to the straight-to-DVD angle and it being filmed outside the Hollywood system, now appears to have some more weight to it. Abnett is a good writer, and there's no way Hollywood would ever touch the WH40K universe with a bargepole without completely destroying all the stuff that makes it interesting (the lack of any clear-cut good and bad guys, most notably). These actors are also of reasonably impressive stature as well. Interesting to see how this turns out.

saintjon
March 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM
That's a pretty cool video Wert. I could do with it being about something other than Ultramarines but hopefully this one will be a success and they will get a chance to expand. I wonder who will get to be the villain for this outing? I doubt it will be Orks, but no movie orks would be as cool as my Green Bastards anyhow. I bet it will be 'nids. Nids are great for being villains but they don't have much of a personality beyond being horrifying, but that has worked out fine before so what do I know? The most interesting villains from a storytelling perspective would be Tau IMO.

I wonder when everything became all about Ultramarines though. They have that new action game coming out and everything.

Solaar
March 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Strangely, I've never played the dice game, but I loved the PSP game and my son is into it in a big way so I'm pretty excited for this film!!

Solaar
the marine

Loerwyn
March 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Brilliant, I really hope this'll be brilliant. Seems to be a lot of British actors though, but for some reason that seems great. And they all seem to have the right "look" for the universe, too.

Games Workshop have a habit of finding really good companies to expand on their universe (e.g. Relic with Dawn of War), and I really enjoyed playing the actual game from time to time.

Shame it's Ultramarines though, but they have been the ever present force of the Space Marines for some time now (I think they're the largest Chapter). I'd really like to see a Black Templars movie at some point :D

saintjon
March 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I don't think it's that they're the largest chapter, it's that they're the vanilla/paragon marines, their Primarch wrote the Codex Astartes. Crimson Fists don't have the best look but their whole concept is pretty good movie fodder, a chapter on the brink of extinction and all that. The White Scars are pretty cool too. Last chapter I will mention is the Salamanders, who are pretty awesome but people who don't know 40K might get thrown by the jet black skin and orange hair and stuff.

DurzoBlint
April 28th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I'm sold, should be a great cast and a decent story, hope this expands and we get to see Gaunt's Ghosts.

Loerwyn
April 28th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I'm more interested in the Sisters of Battle! :D

kged
May 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I'm more excited by this movie than a man my age ought to be.

And of course it's the Ultramarines, who else would it be? As what I'm sure is intended as the first of many movies, the Ultramarines are the obvious starting point. As arguably the purest and finest Chapter there is, they are the perfect doorway into the world of 40K for newcomers. I think it would be a great error for the first full Astartes movie to jump straight into the kind of tortuous ambiguities we see with the likes of the Thousand Sons or the Alpha Legion, fascinating as they are. And nutters like my beloved Black Templars would just be off-putting to most casual viewers, I should think. Indeed, I'm going to be interested to see how they pitch the script; 40K is so dense and rich and bursting with back-story that it will be tricky to walk a line between satisfying existing fans without utterly baffling newcomers.

I hope they find small parts for the guys who did the voices in my ancient PS1 "Space Hulk" game, they were great. Such fervour..."May the blessings of the eternal Emperor fall upon us!"

If this takes off, and a whole series of movies is made, I'll be beside myself. A well-done series based around the Horus Heresy would be better than the best thing ever.