PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good Space Battles

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Olu
March 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Quick history. Haven't read more then a couple of books (Robert Jordan WOT) in about 5 years. Got a Kindle this summer and have read 30+ books since :eek:

Without a doubt my favorite sci-fi books in my distant past were Forever War, Ender's Game, and The Mote in Gods Eye (probably my favorite). I also liked The Uplift war series and Hyperion.

More recently I've read Old Man's War Series (liked it), Agent to the Stars (funny quick read), Mission of Gravity (hated it), Starfist book 1 (okay). But I just finished the Lost Fleet Series by Jack Campbell and loved it!

Which books would folks recommend along the lines of Mote in Gods Eye and The Lost Fleet Series?

sjhigbee
March 13th, 2010, 05:20 PM
There's Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers' if you want a blast from the past... And I thoroughly enjoyed David Feintuch's Seafort Saga, based on the 'Hornblower' series. There's also David Weber's Honor Harrington - although I think the early books are far better than the later stuff. I also think that C.J. Cherryh's fantastic Union/Alliance series takes an awful lot of beating and I note with joy that DAW are reprinting a lot of her early novels - Downbelow Station; Merchanter's Luck & Forty Thousand in Gehenna plus Cyteen should be must-reads for anyone who likes their space conflicts with plenty of characterisation & tension.

Olu
March 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM
There's Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers' if you want a blast from the past... And I thoroughly enjoyed David Feintuch's Seafort Saga, based on the 'Hornblower' series. There's also David Weber's Honor Harrington - although I think the early books are far better than the later stuff. I also think that C.J. Cherryh's fantastic Union/Alliance series takes an awful lot of beating and I note with joy that DAW are reprinting a lot of her early novels - Downbelow Station; Merchanter's Luck & Forty Thousand in Gehenna plus Cyteen should be must-reads for anyone who likes their space conflicts with plenty of characterisation & tension.

I read Starship Troopers years ago. I think I may start with the Seafort Saga. Great thing about the Kindle is I can download the 1st few chapters to get a feel for the writing before I purchase.

Thanks for the suggestions

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hmmm well Helmsman series by Baldwin is pretty good lots of space battles. Its not a series but In Fury Born also by David Weber is great its an expansion or an earlier novel Path of the Fury. If you want to go back a ways there is the Perry Rhodan series some 140 of them got translated to English. Andre Norton wrote some good space based book but most of hers were traders vice big space battles. Weber also wrote Mutineer's Moon trilogy. Heck just check out everything Weber wrote (lol).

JunkMonkey
March 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
How can anyone hate Mission of Gravity???

Highroller
March 20th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Oh and its a bit older but Space Viking by H. Beam Piper has several good space battles in it.

chaunur
March 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I concur the C.J Cherryh's Union-Alliance books are great, even better is the series starting with the Pride of Chanur. Poul Anderson's Orion Shall Rise is very good. David Weber's Harrington series is good but his Stars at War series is more action orientated, In Death's Ground is the best of the 4 books in the series.

William Dietz's Legion of the Damned series is pretty good althought it focuses more on ground fighting than space battles. In that vein Armor by John Steakley is a classic. And don't forget the Keith Laumur's Bolo series about supertanks.

The Confederation series by Tanya Huff is well done as is R.M. Melluch's Merrimack books. John Ringo's Posleen series starting with A Hymn before Battle is first class action and Fred Saberhagan's Berserker books are great.

If you liked A Mote in Gods Eye you should read The Gripping Hand and Footfall by Niven.

chaunur
March 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hey A Mission of Gravity was one of the first science fiction books I ever read, I still love it.

Rob B
March 20th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Since this forum is primarily for people trying to remember the title or writer of a book they've forgotten, I'm moving this to the proper SF forum.

You might also want to try these threads:
Best Space Opera (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541)
Space Battles (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20102)

Olu
March 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. I've got a nice list to start tackling :)